˗ˋ 39

CHAPTER THIRTY NINE

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH SHE WORRIES

. . .

The night before the second task found Rosie Kersey sitting on the staircase of the Entrance Hall, fiddling with her fingertips as the minutes ticked by, and it got closer and closer to the morning, closer and closer to the second task.

Rosie couldn't sleep, there was no time left for her to help Cedric, and although she had made it extremely clear that she would not be helping him, the Kersey girl couldn't help but feel bad.

What if Cedric hadn't managed to figure it out? What if she had jinxed it for him and he would end up in some sort of trouble down in the lake. But of course, it was the middle of the night, and her attempting to help Cedric would just end up with her getting mad again - he would probably be with Cho anyway. 

"Miss Kersey." A voice split through the silence that Rosie had been sat in for well over an hour. The girl froze, her head twisting slighty to the side as she saw Professor Sprout stood at the entrance to the hall. 

"Oh.. Professor, good evening. Or.. good morning? I'm not sure." Rosie looked slight apprehensive, worried that the Hufflepuff head of house wouldn't be as so lenient when it came to taking points off of the girl at this time of night - the teacher tended to not take so many points during the day, however breaking curfew could be a different matter - she wasn't so sure. 

"Morning - now I'm sure that you are concerned about the task, but the Diggory boy will be fine." The woman practically boomed, her voice the same tone and volume as it was in the day, quite contrasting to Rosie's almost whispered words. 

"I know.. I just feel bad for not helping him." Rosie mumbled, and Sprout sat down next to her, gently patting her on the shoulder. 

"You've done a lot for him, Miss Kersey. Now, whilst you might think he doesn't care for you anymore, I certainly do care about my students. And I think you need to go up to bed." The professor continued. 

"You're not going to take any points off of me?" Rosie was surprised by this, and she clapped a hand over her mouth as she realised what she had said - Professor Sprout might not have even thought of it if she hadn't.

"No, no." The woman chuckled. "Just go up to bed, dearest. You might not want to be asleep for tomorrow's task." Sprout finished.

"You're right, thank you Professor." Rosie nodded, and got up. "Good night." She said, and disappeared up the staits, leaving the Hufflepuff head of house there.

Sprout was right, she couldn't worry like that. Cedric had known about the tasks months in advance. He had known about the song-poem thing from the egg, and that it was taking place underwater. 

If he had any common sense - which he did, of course - he would have gone through any of the books that Rosie had left behind and gone through any books he could find in the library. Cho had probably helped him, the girl bet.

And so, he would be prepared. Merlin, Rosie couldn't believe she was so worried over this. Of course Cedric had prepared - at least, that is what she was telling herself to try and feel better about it. 

But the most likely thing was that he had prepared, he needed to and he knew that. Cedric hadn't needed Rosie's help, and he only had her because of the bet. 

Rosie should be bothered by that - but in someways, it reassured her. Sure, Cedric had no idea at all what was happening in the first task, but common sense would have gotten him through. 

The Kersey girl climbed the stairs up into the Gryffindor girl's dorm, changing into her pajamas and slipping into her bed, laying there in the darkness as she tried to fall asleep.

Despite her reassurance to herself, she still felt worried about tomorrow. But she needed to sleep, it was far to late and she wouldn't be happy if she was too sleepy to focus on the task. 

And still worrying, Rosie slipped into a dreamless sleep. And the next morning, she would wake up and it would be the day of the second task.

Merlin, it better go well.