˗ˋ 69

CHAPTER SIXTY NINE

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH BLAME IS DEBATED

. . .

Rosie woke up just hours later to an arguement, opening her eyes just as Professor Snape pulled his sleeve up, revealling something to the Minister of Magic that Rosie couldn't quite make out, rubbing her eyes of any sleep remaining there. 

She had taken Madam Pomfrey's potion to help her sleep, but it seemed that it wasn't as powerful as expected, and that the arguement had woken her. Fred and George were still by her side, except on one side, Fred had stood up - but George remained sat beside her. 

"There," said Snape harshly, Rosie's eyes moving down to the bare skin of his arm, some sort of tattoo inked there. "There. The Dark Mark. It is not as clear as it was an hour or so ago, when it burned black, but you can still see it. Every Death Eater had the sign burned into him by theDark Lord. It was a means of distinguishing one another, and his means of summoning us to him." 

"When he touched the Mark of any Death Eater, we were to Disapparate, and Apparate, instantly, at his side. This Mark has been growing clearer all year. Karkaroff's too. Why do you think Karkaroff fled tonight? We both felt theMark burn. We both knew he had returned. Karkaroff fears the Dark Lord's vengeance. He betrayed too many of his fellow Death Eaters to be sure of a welcome back into the fold." Snape continued.

It was a lot for Rosie to take in, having just woken up and she stiffled a yawn, looking over the scene. Fudge was there, and she had an odd feeling that he knew about the situation, and didn't believe a single thing, from the look on his face.

"I don't know what you and your staff are playing at, Dumbledore, but I have heard enough. I have no more to add. I will be in touch with you tomorrow, Dumbledore, to discuss the running of this school. I must return to the Ministry." Cornelius Fudge whispered to Dumbledore. He had almost reached the door when he paused. He turned around, strode back down the dormitory, and stopped at Harry's bed, not having noticed that the Kersey girl had woken up. 

"Your winnings," he said shortly, taking a large bag of gold out of his pocket and dropping it onto Harry's bedside table. "One thousand Galleons. There should have been a presentation ceremony, but under the circumstances..." He crammed his bowler hat onto his head and walked out of theroom, slamming the door behind him. The moment he had disappeared, Dumbledore turned to look at the group around Harry's bed, finally seeing Rosie awake. 

"Miss Kersey, many apologies for waking you." He said, everyone's gazes looking over to the girl, who smiled weakly. A few more words were exchanged, and Rosie watched as Bill left, having clapped Harry on the shoulder, half-hugged her and kissed his mother on the cheek before doing so.

McGonagall disappeared to go and summon Hagrid and Madame Maxime to his office, Madam Pomfrey going to find a rather distressed house-elf. And then, of all things, the black dog transformed back into Sirius Black, Mrs Weasley letting out a scream.

Snape reacted in a such a way that had Rosie, Fred and George smirking, trying to hide their smiles, knowing they weren't appropriate for the situation - the twins just happy to see that their friend could still do so. 

Dumbledore talked of informing many people - their old DADA teacher Remus Lupin, Arabella Figg, Mundungus Fletcher, and Sirius left to do so, after saying his goodbyes to Harry. 

"I must go talk to the Diggorys about them staying in Hogsmeade for the night." Dumbledore said, looking towards the two in the beds. "I suggest you both take the rest of your potions and go back to sleep. You'll be needing your strength." 

And with that, Dumbledore left. The group sat in silence for a few minutes, before Harry began to express his distaste towards recieving the winnings, how they should have been Cedric's.

"It wasn't your fault, Harry," Mrs. Weasley whispered, glancing over to Rosie and the closed off area in which the Diggory boy's body lay. "Who knows what will happen, I suppose Rosie could explain it - when she's ready of course."

"Cedric wouldn't want the money." Rosie said quietly. "Harry, even if everything does work out, he wouldn't want it. And he doesn't blame you. I know he doesn't."

"I told him to take the cup with me," Harry whispered, swallowing and seeming to have a rather up-hill battle with his emotions. 

"And I brewed Felix Felicis for a international tournament." Rosie smiled weakly, Molly, Ron and Hermione looking shocked at this revelation. "Mermaid tears have healing powers." She continued in an explanation to the others. "Dumbledore thinks there's a possibility.." Her voice died off, and Fred messed her hair up affectionately, sitting by her once again.

Despite this possibilty from Dumbledore, Harry still seemed to have his doubts, as did Rosie. And Mrs Weasley hugged him, before asking him to take his potion again. They both did, and just like before, they were out within seconds, exhausted.