˗ˋ 66

CHAPTER SIXTY SIX

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH DISASTER STRIKES

. . .

Everything was moving in slow motion. The sound of the crowd screaming shouting dulled down in her mind. And Rosie just stared on, frozen in her place. 

Almost in slow motion, she watched as Harry let go of the Triwizard Cup, it rolling away as he clutched to Cedric's black and yellow shirt. Reaching upwards Harry grabbed Dumbledore's wrist, saying something which made the headmaster frown.

And then Cornelius Fudge, who leaned over the pair before whispering something which spread quickly. Soon enough, the crowd surrounding the pitch were whispering the same question.

"Cedric's dead?" 

"He's dead? Diggory is dead?"

Rosie swayed on her feet, and Bill was suddenly by her side, trying to pull her away from the scene. But the Kersey girl's frozen body would not budge, feet glued to the ground. 

"No." She said. "No, he can't be. There's no way he can be dead. Cedric isn't dead. He can't be." The words of disbelief were flowing out of her mouth, and Bill's face crumpled in pain, watching as Rosie stared. 

She took a step forward, wobbling slightly as she came out of the tunnel and onto the pitch, which used to host such happy Quidditch matches now holding a maze, in which terrible things had happened. 

"Rosie maybe this isn't a good idea.. you don't want to see this." Bill said, trying to pull Rosie backwards, insisting that the last thing she wanted to see was the body up close. 

But it wasn't just any body, it was Cedric. Who Rosie had tried to put in as many precautions as she could to stop this from happening. She had brewed potions, taught him for months, done absolutely everything she could - which included an actual crime - yet this happened. 

Dumbledore and Harry were talking, the poor champion still clutching to Cedric's jersey. The headmaster finally pulled him off of him, and Rosie took the chance to pull away from Bill's grasp, walking as quickly as she could to were Cedric was. 

"Excuse me, Miss, you can't go any closer." One of the ministry officials said, and Rosie closed her eyes for the briefest of moments, trying to stop the tears from flowing out of them so she could look as determined as possible to get over Cedric.

And even when he eyes were closed, the horrific sight was still there. Horrified, her eyes snapped open, and the tears fell. "No, I need to see him." She said, voice wobbling. "Ask Dumbledore - he knows.. he knows." 

Her knees almost buckled and she would have fallen to the ground had Bill not been right behind her. "Please let her past." The much taller ginger boy said, looking down at the official. 

"I'm sorry Sir, but the young lady can't go any further." The official insisted. 

"Ask Dumbledore." Bill replied, just as determined. He knew how much Cedric had come to mean to Rosie, and if this was what she needed, then he would help her get it. 

"Professor Dumbledore won't let this girl past!" The official said, turning around to gesture at the headmaster only to find him looking right back at him. "Will you professor? It's awfully-"

"No. Stop. Let her past." Dumbledore said, and through her blur of tears, Rosie got past the official and over to Cedric, collapsing down to her knees, hands reaching for the material of his shirt. 

She didn't even know what she was doing, the tears flowing freely and dripping onto his shirt. "Cedric, this isn't funny wake up. Please-" Her voice cracked and she shook him, his body complying, and still, he didn't open his eyes. "No.. no." 

Her hand brushed against his skin and she flinched. He was cold.

"Amos Diggory is running over." Someone was saying to Dumbledore, who was stood above them, Harry wobbling on his feet nearby. 

"Don't let them get move her." Dumbledore insisted, watching as Amos and Elora appeared, both openly sobbing as they reached Cedric. 

And Rosie cried, she cried and cried. She didn't even know where the tears were coming from, but something just hurt so much within her. The guilt bubbled, replacing the nerves that had rightly been there. 

It was her fault. It was all her fault that he was dead. She had put so many precautions in place, taught him everything she could, slipped Felix Felicis into his potions. And still. He was dead. 

Amos and Elora needed to be there. They deserved to be there more then her. And although her tears still flooded down her face, the pain too much to bear, Rosie wobbled to her feet. 

"Miss Kersey, are you sure you don't want to sit down?" Dumbledore asked, placing an arm on the girl's shoulder to steady her.

"No.. no. Professor-" Rosie couldn't seem to get the words out, and Dumbledore nodded, understandingly. 

"I know. It will be hard for a few days but you tried your best." Dumbledore said, and Rosie shook her head.

"No.. He had Felix Felicis. A whole vial of it. I made him some and I know it's against the rules but I had this feeling I-" Dumbledore cut her off by summoning it, the small vial appearing in his hands. 

It  was empty, and Rosie swayed on her feet. Dumbledore stared at her, then down to Cedric on the floor. "We need to move him." He announced. "Take him to the Hospital Wing."

"But Albus-" Someone said, and it was McGonagall, looking tearfully onto the scene from the sidelines. "He's dead.. surely he shouldn't go there where Miss Delacour, Mr Krum and Mr Potter are being treated. Surely they could do without that."

"Minevra. You can trust me. Move Mr Diggory to the Hospital Wing, ask Madam Pomfrey to section off a wing so that Mr and Mrs Diggory can sit in there as well. Minevra and Pomona, I am asking you to watch over the situation." Dumbledore said, the female professors nodding and along with a few others, they went over to where Cedric's body lay. 

Dumbledore and Rosie stood there for a moment, the girl sniffing and wiping her eyes. But when she made a motion to go and follow the crowd of grieving parents and others, Dumbledore lay a hand on her shoulder. 

"I need to talk to Harry first. So please, when you get to the hospital wing wait there until I arrive. We need to have a discussion, Miss Kersey." Dumbledore said, about to walk off, before pausing. "Don't be afraid to cry. But savour those tears. They can work wonders"

a/n
promoting my remus
book - captain hook -
because i love the plot <3