PROLOGUE

Something had gone wrong

Something had gone wrong. Somewhere, something, someone. It had to have done, for everything to go so wrong so quickly. Only hours after the Irish had won the Quidditch World Cup, and the celebrations had turned deadly. 

Rosie had been seperated from her dad, as the shouting and screaming forced them out of their tent, only to see what seemed to be the complete opposite of the cheerful celebrations. There were fires and children crying and she was desperately hoping her brother wasn't one of them.

Somehow she hadn't tripped up yet, and she was clutching her wand so tightly her knuckles had turned a shade of white that she didn't know they could do. She couldn't panic, or else it wouldn't end up well for her. 

There were these dark figures, and something told Rosie that they wouldn't exactly be happy to meet her - a half mermaid, or what some liked to call a half-breed. Her father was a muggle-born, and it felt maybe as if he wouldn't end up too well off it her instincts were right.

Spotting what seemed to be a group of people she recognised - two heads of red hair which could only belong to the Weasley twins. But then they disappeared from sight, and Rosie began to worry even more, as she tried to hurry to get to the forest, where so many people like herself were heading. 

The figures in dark cloaks only seemed to be getting closer to her, and she only just managed to duck behind the canvas of a tent as a group of them hurried past her. And there were more coming, muggles floating above their heads.

"Oh god." Rosie couldn't help but groan in horror as she saw the muggle family that she had been camping beside floating above a group, and struggling to not trip over the ropes that were pinning tents to the ground, tears threatening to leak from her eyes.

She had no idea who those people were, but she had a horrible feeling that those muggles weren't going to end up in a good way. Stumbling over her own feet, Rosie was nearing the forest, and was just stepped into the forest when a flash of green light appeared, and she turned around.

"Holy shit." She breathed, staring up at the green symbol in the sign. The dark mark. The sign of Voldemort. The people in dark robes. They were all something to do with Voldemort.

But then, she was pulled by someone behind a tree, and shocked, she looked up only to see Cedric Diggory. She had never been close with the boy, but as a Gryffindor, she had often shared classes with Hufflepuff. 

"You saw it too, didn't you?" He asked, his face grim. Rosie nodded, and peeked out from the tree, only inches away from being lent on Cedric's chest, the boy having pulled her so close to him, and his hand still holding her close. 

"There's people there." Rosie whispered, shaking, peering up at the boy, who glanced down at her hand, then jerked his head towards the clearing. She nodded, and the pair moved at the same time. 

"Stupify." They both shouted, neither of them caring too much about doing underaged magic in the situation. Two of the people dropped down, and the one remaing pointed their wand at them.

"Petrificus Totalus." Rosie quickly said, and the final one dropped. "Merlin. Who are they?" She let Cedric pull her past them without paying too much attention to them.

Cedric repeated the spell twice, freezing the two others that had dropped down. "We need to find my dad, he'll know what to do." He said, then looked down at Rosie. "Are you ok?"

"I'm fine. A little shocked, maybe panicking a little. But I'm alive, aren't I?" She tried to joke, but couldn't hide the shaking in her hands or voice. 

Cedric smiled, then instead of pulling her along by her arm, he took her hand and led her away from the three hooded figures, being careful to make sure that neither of them tripped over tent ropes or anything. 

They found Amos Diggory stood by a tent, Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley and Arthur Weasley stood by them, as well as Barty Crouch and Ludo Bagman. 

Harry saw them coming, and went to say them, but one of the ministry people say him, and turned around, pointing their wand at the pair. The others in the group did the same, and everyone looked.

Rosie and Cedric had their hands raised, still slowly approaching the bed. "That's my son." Amos Diggory said, and pulled Cedric into a hug. 

"Mr Weasley?" The girl asked, Cedric being reunited with his father. "I don't suppose you've seen my father?" She continued, her voice gently. "Oh." Rosie  watched as Arthur shook his head. "Are Fred and George here?" She then asked.

"Yes, they're just in that tent." Arthur pointed, his voice weary. "You can stay with us and if we don't find your father you can stay with us until tomorrow."

"Thank you." Rosie decided to ignore the wobble in her voice, and she turned to Cedric. Repeating the words to him, trying to mask her fear with the same gentle smile.

Leaving the group behind, discussing whatever they were, Rosie approached the tent, only to hear someone following her, and she turned around to see Cedric.

"Your dad will be fine. I'll see if my dad can ask around - he's quite high up in the Ministry, knows a lot of people." Cedric continued, trying his best to help.

"Thank you, Cedric. Really. I don't know what would have happened if you weren't there when I entered that forest." Rosie smiled a little, looking up at him.

"And I don't think I could have fought all three of them." Cedric replied, to which she giggled slightly.

"Seriously? You could've easily done it." She told him. "Your father is looking for you." Rosie then said, watching as Amos looked around. "I'll see you at Hogwarts, Diggory." 

"We thought we heard you." Two voices said as Rosie was about to enter the tent. Fred and George had popped their heads out of the entrance, and their eyes travelled from their fellow Gryffindor to Rosie. "Diggory." They said simultaneously, before grabbing her and pulling her in. 

"Thanks again Cedric." Rosie quickly said, before disappearing into the tent and leaving the Diggory boy musing on the idea of a new friend.