˗ˋ 35

CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE

-: seventh year :-

── IN WHICH SNAPE DRAWLS

. . .

By the time that Rosie had managed to calm down breakfast had long ended and the first lesson of the day was already midway through. McGonagall had managed to give Rosie had schedule, and trying her very hardest to not smile and burst into tears at the same time.

It was a strange mixture of feelings. She knew he was alive and awake - that was of course the best part of it all. The elation she had felt when Healer Strout informed her, Professor Sprout and Professor McGonagall that she had managed to stop him from dying was unlike no other.

But then the blow that he had lost his memory of their entire sixth year had hit and now she had no idea what to do with herself. She had barely even heard what Miriam was saying as she sat through the rest of the meeting, only seeming to take note that Mr and Mrs Diggory were attempting to try a number of things that could help regain his memory.

First was bringing him home. Healer Strout would make visits either every day or every other day, and see if that helped at all. And if the memories didn't return or at least come close to, then they would figure something out from there.

Rosie was to visit as soon as Mr and Mrs Diggory felt right, McGonagall had suggested to Miriam that it was to be Saturday, and she really hoped that it would end up that way. But if there wasn't that option, then she didn't know what she would do. 

Cedric didn't remember her. She needed to know the extent of that, the extent of what he did and didn't have in his memories. But if Mr and Mrs Diggory didn't want her there, there wasn't much she could do.

So she could only hope, and try not to cry and smile at the same time as she picked herself up from the wall she was leaning against and make her way down to the dungeons. Having Snape and Potions first thing was quite possibly the worst thing for her to have as her first lesson, but she didn't know what she would do to herself if she didn't go to lesson.

Rosie needed to visit her relatives. She had only been getting Seahorse mail from them through her mother, who then gave it to her father to send on with an owl, and quite frankly she had had enough. 

Her boots sounded against the flagstones as she reached the bottom of the twisting staircase, continuing her journey to the classroom, knocking briefly and pushing the door open.

"Miss Kersey, you're late." Snape turned towards her instantly, cloak billowing out behind him. "I suppose, after your little experiment last year you believed it appropriate to co-ordinate some special entrance only for yourself?" 

"I was talking to Professor McGonagall." Rosie swallowed the fresh wave of tears that threatened to be pushed over the edge at the digs from the Potions Master. "My little experiment worked either way, so whether you think someone who saved someones life deserves an special entrance then you tell me."

"Detention Miss Kersey." Snape's drone echoed over the classroom. "Take a seat." He gestured to the empty seat beside the twins and she slipped down into it, waiting for him to continue to teach before turning to her friends.

"Rosie-posie getting a detention on her very first day, how scandalous." Fred tutted, shaking his head. "What are you going to do about that, hm?"

"Get in his good graces in our next two lessons. He always refuses to do detentions in the first week so he waits until Saturday." Rosie shrugged. "Which means I won't be there."

"And why is that?" George chimed in. "You look like you're about to burst out laughing or throwing up in the sink."

"Cedric woke up." The twins' jaws dropped as Rosie told them the tale, slowly getting to their feet as they came to together to get the ingredients for the potion written down on the chalkboard. "He doesn't remember me.. but hopefully something will be triggered if Mr and Mrs Diggory decide to let me visit."

"Why they wouldn't let you I have no idea." Fred frowned. "I mean, you did keep their son alive." 

"I did.. but if they don't want me there then there's nothing I can do except hope they'll let me see him sometime soon." Rosie shrugged with a sigh, following the twins over to the ingredients cupboard, waiting in the queue as students went in and out. 

"You kept him alive." George repeated. "You visited him so many days in the summer and now they might not let you go see him."

"Miss Kersey, Weasleys." Snape appeared by the side of the three queuing up. "Because you gave a boy illegally brewed Felix Felicis and cried over his body do you now believe you are above my classes?"

"Illegally brewed or not it stopped him from dying." Rosie tilted her chin upwards. "I do not think that I'm above this class, I'm simply waiting to go into the cupboard." She turned back towards the shelves before Snape could issue her any more detention.

If this was the treatment she was going to get from teachers who didn't like her for the rest of her final year, she didn't know what she was going to do.