˗ˋ 11

CHAPTER ELEVEN

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH CHAMPIONS ARE CHOSEN

. . .

Students from all schools gathered in the Great Hall on the night of Halloween. It had been decorated appropriately, and when entering, you instantly noticed the Goblet of Fire, set near where Dumbledore stood for his speech. 

Everyone was impatient for the feast to begin, and even when it had begun, they continued to crane their necks to look at the Goblet, or to see if Dumbledore had finished eating. 

"All our hopes on Rosie now." George announced, when he had picked at his food for a while. Him and Fred were postively beardless, Madame Pomfrey having fixed them up quickly. 

"Rather Rosie than Diggory." Ron commented, and the Kersey girl's eyes flickered over to the Hufflepuff table, where Cedric sat, just as impatient as everyone else. 

"They bet on it, you know." Fred said, his voice matter-of-fact. "Rosie and Pretty-Boy Diggory. They're going to help each other, depending on who gets it."

"I didn't know you were friends with him?" Hermione turned to Rosie, who smiled down at her plate, stabbing her piece of chicken and eating it. 

"He helped me at the World Cup. We would have probably been killed if we didn't work together." Rosie shrugged, picking at her food. 

"Ever since then he's been hanging around her." George grumbled, and she glared at him, clutching her fork in a certain way which made him shut up quickly. 

It seemed like it took forever for the plates to clear, and as soon as they did, a silence so deafening fell across the entire hall. Everyone watched as Dumbledore stood up, looking of the fire. 

"Well, the goblet is almost ready to make its decision," said Dumbledore. "I estimate that it requires one more minute. Now, when the champions' names are called, I would ask them please to come up to the top of the Hall, walk along the staff table, and go through into the next chamber" - he indicated the door behind the staff table - "where they will be receiving their first instructions."

Rosie nodded, as did various others who hoped they would be selected. She was so nervous, butterflies dancing around and around in her stomach. With a long, sweeping wave of his wand, Dumbledore extinguished the candles, creating a state of darkness, that was only lit by the Goblet, and the various candles within the carved pumpkins. 

Along with it came a great sense of nervousness for Rosie, and she clenched her fists as she waited, watching as the light in the Goblet grew brighter and brighter, until it almost hurt her eyes. 

"Any second." Lee said, and Rosie glanced back at the twins, who seemed to be just as focused on it as she was. 

Then the flames turned red, making Rosie jump out of her skin. Then, a flame shot out, and with it, a piece of parchment. Dumbledore easily caught it, and read it aloud. "The champion for Durmstrang," he read, in a strong, clear voice, "will be Viktor Krum."

A thunderous roar of applause sounded, and Rosie couldn't help but worry. What if she was chosen, and she was against Viktor? How would she manage to pull that off. 

The clapping died down as the flames turned red again, and another slip of parchment appeared. "The champion for Beauxbatons," Dumbledore read. "Will be Fleur Delacour."

Rosie watched as an extremely pretty girl made her way across the hall, and as multiple other Beauxbatons girls burst into tears. A hand appeared on each shoulder as they waited for the Hogwarts champion, Fred and George just as nervous as she was. 

The flames shot red for what should be the final time, and out burst a slip of parchment. Rosie's stomach twisted and turned itself into a knot, and the grip on her shoulder's grew tighter. 

"The Hogwarts champion," he called, "is Cedric Diggory!" Rosie felt a wave of relief mixed with disappointment rush over her as she began clapping, looking over to the Hufflepuff table. 

Cedric caught her eye and smiled, which she returned, raising her hands so he could see her clapping. Cedric did as the other two champions did, and exited the Great Hall.

The twins' hands slipped from her shoulders and began to talk among themselves, as Dumbledore looked around, waiting for the applause to die down. 

"Excellent!" Dumbledore called happily as at last the noise died down. "Well, we now have our three champions. I am sure I can count upon all of you, including the remaining students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang, to give your champions every ounce of support you can muster. By cheering your champion on, you will contribute in a very real -"

Then he stopped talking. And it was easy to see why. The flames had turned red again, and a confused mumble rose amongst the students. Dumbledore caught the parchment and unfolded it, staring at the name, before looking up at the crowd. 

He cleared his throat, and read. "Harry Potter." 

✧