˗ˋ 06

CHAPTER SIX

-: seventh year :-

── IN WHICH THE DISCUSSION'S OVER

. . .

"But you're telling people, aren't you?" Yet another one of Harry's somewhat stupid questions broke Rosie out of the trance she was in. The Potter way looked around at the people sat near him. "You're letting people know he's back?" They all smiled humorlessly.

"Well, as everyone thinks I'm a mad mass murderer and the Ministry's put a ten-thousand-Galleon price on my head, I can hardly stroll up the street and start handing out leaflets, can I?" Sirius said restlessly, tone dripping with sarcasm.

"And I'm not a very popular dinner guest with most of the community," said Lupin. "It's an occupational hazard of being a werewolf." The smile that had came from Sirius's tone dripped off of Rosie's face in an instance. 

Lupin looked so sad when he said it, and she was only reminded of when she had visited him in his office when it was announced that he would be leaving, the entire student body finding out about his condition. Rosie had been on track to failing her Defense Against the Dark Arts OWL - a surprise to everyone who had ever heard about it. However, Lupin knew this was probably a product of the utterly useless teacher she had had the year before, and had tutored her when he could.

She passed her OWL with flying colours, and had been so angry when she found out he was being fired because a certain someone had leaked the information he was a Werewolf. 

"Calm down, Rosie-Posie." Beside her, George was leaning down to look at her as Sirius explained why Mr Weasley and Tonks couldn't be so open about finding new members. 

Fred heard this, and the twins took a hand each, gently unfurling her clenched fists and using their sweater sleeves to wipe the small cresent moons of blood her fingernails had made there.

"We've managed to convince a couple of people, though," Mr Weasley continued from Sirius's explanation. "Tonks here, for one - she's too young tohave been in the Order of the Phoenix last time, and having Aurors on our side is a huge advantage - Kingsley Shacklebolt's been a real asset too. He's in charge of the hunt for Sirius, so he's been feeding the Ministry information that Sirius is in Tibet."

Smiles appeared on Fred, George and Rosie's faces. They had been the ones to suggest to Kingsley that Sirius should be in Tibet (there or Peru)  - the Auror had witnessed one of Mrs Weasley's blow ups over their various products, and had once stumbled on George and Rosie fussing over Fred - who had one half of his face blow up like a balloon after testing a product went wrong.

He claimed to like their creativity, however it seemed Kingsley despite his quiet demeanour, enjoyed a good prank.

"But if none of you's putting the news out that Voldemort's back-" Harry began, sounding confused and rather desperate. 

"Who said none of us was putting the news out?" saidSirius. "Why d'you think Dumbledore's in such trouble?"

"What d'you mean?"

"They're trying to discredit him," said Lupin. "Didn't you see the Daily Prophet last week? They reported that he'd been voted out of the Chairmanship of the International Confederation of Wizards because he's getting old and losing his grip, but it's not true, he was voted out by Ministry wizards after he made a speech announcing Voldemort's return. They've demoted him from Chief Warlock on the Wizengamot— that's the Wizard High Court — and they're talking about taking away his Order of Merlin, First Class, too."

"But Dumbledore says he doesn't care what they do as long as they don't take him off the Chocolate Frog cards," Bill added with a grin. 

"It's no laughing matter," said Mr Weasley shortly. "If he carries on defying the Ministry like this, he could end up in Azkaban and the last thing we want is Dumbledore locked up. While You-Know-Who knows Dumbledore's out there and wise to what he's up to, he's going to go cautiously for a while.If Dumbledore's out of the way — well, You-Know-Who will have a clear field."

"But if Voldemort's trying to recruit more Death Eaters, it's bound to get out that he's come back, isn't it?" asked Harry desperately, after ignoring the collective shiver from both the usage of the name and the idea of being Dumbledore beinng locked away died down.

"Voldemort doesn't march up to people's houses and bang on their front doors, Harry," said Sirius. "He tricks, jinxes, and blackmails them. He's well-practiced at operating in secrecy. In any case, gathering followers is only one thing he's interested in, he's got other plans too, plans he can put into operation very quietly indeed, and he's concentrating on the mat the moment."

"What's he after apart from followers?" Harry asked swiftly.He thought he saw Sirius and Lupin exchange the most fleeting of looks before Sirius said, "Stuff he can only get by stealth."When Harry continued to look puzzled, Sirius said, "Like a weapon. Something he didn't have last time."

"When he was powerful before?"

"Yes."

"Like what kind of weapon?" said Harry. "Something worse than the Avada Kedavra-?"

"That's enough." Mrs Weasley spoke from the shadows beside the door. Nobody had seemed to notice her coming back from taking Ginny up to bed. Her arms were crossed and she looked furious. "I want you in bed, now. All of you," she added, looking around at Rosie, Fred, George, Ron, and Hermione. 

"You can't boss us —" Fred began. 

"Watch me," snarled Mrs Weasley. She was trembling slightly as she looked at Sirius. "You've given Harry plenty of information. Any more and you might just as well induct him into the Order straight away."

"Why not?" said Harry quickly. "I'll join, I want to join, I want to fight-"

 "No." It was not Mrs Weasley who spoke this time, but Lupin."The Order is comprised only of overage wizards," he said."Wizards who have left school," he added, as Rosie, Fred and George opened their mouths. "There are dangers involved of which you can have no idea, any of you... I think Molly's right, Sirius. We've said enough."

Sirius half-shrugged but did not argue. Mrs Weasley beckoned imperiously to her sons, Hermione and Rosie. "Come on then, Kersey." Fred said, pulling the girl up from her seat.

"Night dad!" Rosie shouted up the kitchen, getting the attention of Mr Kersey, who waved back at his daughter. The trio were the second to last out of the kitchen, the final being Harry.

Who had finally recognised defeat.