Chapter 79

Leilah's Office | 9:44 AM

"Here are this week's report, Ma'am" Leilah's secretary said.

"Thanks for your hard work, Kate"

"No, it's a pleasure" Kate couldn't help but to crack a smile, and quietly headed to the exit.

"Kate, wait..." Leilah halted her as she was just about to close the door, "Can you get me a large coffee? I'm kind of tired today"

"No problem, Ma'am" 

*click!* The door shut closed. I don't feel like reading the report right now. I'll put it in my drawer for now.

—!

Something scratched her thumb. Turns out it was the sharp drawer handle that turned rusty for some reason. She checked out her thumb, and to her horror...

B-blood...?

Suddenly, Leilah started panting heavily, even can be considered hyperventilating. She subconsciously crumpled the report with her hand clenched.

Calm down, Leilah. Everything's okay. Her hands were still shaking, but her panting slowed down little by little, until it stopped.

.

Leilah is a late-bloomer. 

When she suddenly turned into a high-tier, nothing can hurt her. That's why... everytime she saw her own blood, even when it's just a little, it reminds her of her traumatic past she had when she was just a low-tier. Every day felt like hell for her, even her parents didn't show any signs of concerns for her.

Sometimes, even the strongest people can also be the most fragile.

When Kate comes back with my coffee, I should tell her to replace this drawer.

***

Wellston Private High

"What do you think he wants to talk about?" John asked

"Judging from the fact that he called both of us. I think it might be from the activities we've been doing" Sera assumed

"What, about us being superheroes?" John replied, "Anyway. I don't like the sound of me being a superhero. It sounds... off"

"Well, just deal with it." She just shrugged it off, and she knocked on the Headmaster's door

*knock knock!*

"Come in." Vaughn said behind the door

Headmaster Vaughn's Office | 10:21 AM

There was the Headmaster, sitting on his chair "You called for us, Sir?" Sera began.

Vaughn directed his hand to the two chairs on front of him, "Please, sit down" He suggested, implying this conversation is going to take awhile, so the two did as told. "You may or may not know where this is going to lead, but it is about the fact that you both claim to be superheroes."

Here I thought we covered our identities well enough. Sera thought, and suddenly bowed her head lightly to Vaughn. "We're very sorry, Sir. We were just—"

"No, Sera..." John butted in, "The Headmaster isn't talking about that. Rather, he doesn't have a problem with it"

"Huh?"

"It's just as John just said" Vaughn stated, "I'm just curious. What do you two hope to achieve?" The students seemed hesitant to answer for a moment. Because, even they might not be so sure why themselves

.

.

"It's..." Sera tried her hardest to answer, "It's to give the weak hope, and to show the ones who deserve it despair"

"Who does deserve it?" Vaughn asked immediately.

"Ones that are ruining people's lives"

Vaughn then switched his sight to John, "And what about you, John?"

"Is this really necessary, Sir?" John seemed reluctant to answer, but Vaughn just nodded. John looked away for a moment, and came up with an answer afterwards. "First of all, I don't own anyone a thing, and I'm only doing this on a whim. Secondly, I'm only going where Sera's going" John stated.

"But..." He continued, "If I really have to give a serious answer. It's not about giving people hope or anything, it's just..." He hesitated yet again. "...to change the world"

***

John... when I learned the news about him going rampant on the Royals that morning, I was disappointed. He seemed to be too different of a child then when I accepted him into Wellston. But to see him now like this, it rekindled my hope for him.

I thought he was somehow losing sight of who he truly is, or rather... who he's trying to become. But I remember what he said during his student interview with me

"John, what do you want to be when you grow up?"

"Uhm..." John was looking the best answer. "All I want is to just get along with someone that can understand me, for whoever I am" John answered wholeheartedly

"A wise answer for someone so young!"  Vaughn cheerfully replied.

Was Seraphina the one that you were looking for, John? Because it was around that day when Seraphina learned that you were indeed a High-tier, and I can see now that she accepts you for who you are. Is that slowly changing you into the one from back then?

***

"How do you plan on doing that?" Vaughn asked, "By taking away people's powers?"

—!

John and Sera snapped their eyes wide open in shock of what they just heard. "S-sir... h-how did you know about this?" Sera asked, assuming they would be getting some sort of punishment.

"Do not worry." Vaughn replied, "The truth is..."

.

.

"I work with ZetaSci"

"W-what!?" John shouted in the room, disbelieved. Of course! How can I not see this coming? When I turned over Volcan to the Headmaster, all of a sudden one day, Volcan lost her ability! John put it together. "But, why?"

"John..." Vaughn called, "Have I ever told you why you got accepted into this school?"

*Joker The New King - Ch 79 End*