Chapter 44 + Recap

8:05 PM, Wellston Park

Leilah's POV

"Darren... If you know, then aren't you scared of me?" I asked afraid

"Scared? No... I know you're better than that. But still... why are you taking away people's abilities from them?" Darren asked puzzled

I don't know if he really means that, or just him trying to sound kind... But either way, it's relieving. But how am I supposed to answer that question?

"I'm not sure if you already know this, but... I'm a-actually a late bloomer"

"W-What?... Did you at least have an ability?" Based on his reaction, he didn't seem to know. But at least he knew what the term late bloomer means

"Well, I did have an ability... But I wouldn't call it that. It was more like a passive. It allowed me to have a slower perception of time... But that was just about it really... A useless passive."

"But only high-tiers can possess passives... but then again, I guess THAT explained why you're a high tier now. I can only imagine what you had to go through... S-So How was it for you back then?"

"It wasn't anything special... for a low tier anyway. Getting bullied was like a normal day for me... Getting good grades was the only thing I had in mind, not because I want it... but because my parents forced me to. Even when I get home from school no one greeted me except my little sister Sera."

Sera didn't know that I was a low tier back when we were little... I didn't want her know because I was too afraid that she'll treat me the same like how my parents did and abandon me. 

"I'm sorry..." Said Darren

"Don't be... I'm a criminal Darren. You shouldn't feel sorry to a criminal. I even made my own little sister powerless..."

Just from reliving and having these awful memories flowing back to my head and realising that I took Sera's ability, is enough to make me cry... Tears started to uncontrollably stream from my eyes and fell to my jeans. Even covering them with my hands wasn't enough for it to fall. 

I then noticed Darren putting my head and leaned it down to his shoulder

"Hey... It's okay. I'll help you get your sister's ability back. We'll find a way... I promise" 

----------------------------------------

After regaining my composure... I realised that I haven't actually answered Darren's question

"Darren... Earlier, you asked me why I took people's powers away?"

"W-Well you don't have to answer that if you don't want to" Said Darren awkardly

"No... I feel like you at least deserve to know this. It was by the time that my ability started to grow, I made sure that everyone's scared of me... Beating people up didn't actually give me any satisfaction or anything. In fact, It gave me more questions..."

What's the point of bullying lower tiers?