Chapter 82

Vaughn's Past | Final part 

2 hours before Vaughn's awakening...

knock...knock

Someone was knocking on their door, and my mother slowly opened it. "Yes...?" She began, and the stranger pulled out his badge. It was someone sent on behalf the authorities.

"May I come in?" The man assertively said. He asked it nicely, but his face tells tells them that they don't have a choice regardless.

"O-of course... Shall I make you coffee?"

"Anna..." My father intervened, flipping over a page of a newspaper. "We've talked about this. You're not a slave anymore"

Decades ago, low-tiers were treated the lowest. Even worse than the present. Sometimes they can be forced to do manual labor, dangerous jobs, and become a maid in someone's household. But as time goes by, low-tiers were starting to populate the world more and more, and are treated insignificantly better.

But my mother still had the mental scar, she even mistook herself for a maid in her own home.

"O-oh, right. H-have a seat please"

She led him to the main couch, and was told to also get her husband for a serious conversation, while Vaughn was in a deep sleep pill.

"I'm sure you two know why I'm here" The authority figure said, "It's regarding your son"

"You..." My mother was trying to make out a sentence — but struggled — trying to hold her tears in. "You took Aria away from him..."

"This is for his own good. Vaughn is a strong kid, even amongst the other high-tiers. We can't have him cause a ruckus like this. Who knows what he'll do in the future?"

"What if we refuse?" My father asked, knowing that he can't make a difference anyway.

"Then I'm afraid we will have to take the same measure to the both of you" The man said, and my parents didn't respond. "Please, we don't want to create any more complications"

They explain the situation to my parents, how they should avoid mentioning my sister ever again in my life, how they should just pretend that I was their only child. My parents couldn't dream to defy the authorities, so they were forced to go along with this scheme.

One day, I was walking to school... by myself. 

And I felt that something was off. Did I really used to walk to school by myself? I gave it a hard thought, and once I got closer and closer to remembering Aria, my head started aching intensely, every single time.

"Argh!"

It felt like electricity just zapped my brain. W-what was that...? I didn't want my head to hurt anymore, so I just walked the rest of the way ignoring it.