Chapter 81

Vaughn's past | Part 2 out of 3

I remembered, maybe it was two or three days before she passed away.

There was a day when I happen to come home later than usual. When I entered the house, it was quiet. Awfully quiet.

When I slowly shut the door closed...

"I'm hom—"

SMASH!

I heard a loud banging sound — almost like a glass being shattered that without a doubt came from Aria's room. I headed towards the sound and noticed that the door was left ajar. For some reason, I decided to peak inside instead of just coming in

The sound turned out to be the desk lamp shattered on the ground that she used for studying. Did she accidentally drop it? I asked myself.

But then I noticed her sitting down by herself at her bed. Her face facing down, while being covered by her hands, but even that didn't help stop her tears that was falling down to her skirt.

She's... crying?

W-why is she crying?

Aria always kept her emotions to herself. I was too young and dumb to realize it, but she did that because...

She didn't want to be a burden, and not make everyone worry about her.

Suddenly, she wiped her tears off her face, and looked behind her back — but thankfully — I already pulled my face away from the door.

Heh... What do I mean, 'thankfully'. 

I wish she would've noticed me that day.

.     .     .

A little while after she cried, I came to her room. I realized that she was quickly wiping her dry eyes, but I pretended not to notice it.

"V..." With a shaky voice, she began "Y-you're back!"

"Yeah..." I awkwardly replied.

"Have you eaten yet?"

"N-no, actually"

"Then I'll go cook something for you!" 

She said so easily with a bright smile. Seeing her forcing a smile like that pained me. I noticed that the broken lamp she threw to the ground was now at the trash can. "Hey, what happened to that lamp?" I asked, hoping that she would bring herself to talk to me about why she cried. Because I didn't have the courage to ask that myself.

"O-oh, that? I accidentally pushed it off the desk with my elbow. Ahaha..." She awkwardly laughed