Chapter 24 ~ Edwin Muirden

Merlin and I went to Arthur. He was busy training while Merlin complained to him, and I was pacing up and down, trying to find a way to get Gaius's job back.

"I can't understand why Uther would sack him over one mistake,"  Merlin says

Arthur stops training and turns to Merlin, "A mistake that almost killed Morgana. Besides, it wasn't the only one,  and what is up with your sister?"

They both looked over to me, and I was busy pacing up and down, mumbling to myself.

"She's stressing out over Gaius leaving."  Merlin replies. 

"Oh," Arthur turns back to his dummy he was training with. 

"Wait, what do you mean not the only mistake?"  Merlin asks.

Arthur stops and looks back at Merlin. "Edwin said his work was riddled with errors."

I stopped pacing and looked at Arthur. "Riddled with errors!? That's crazy. He's the best physician Camelot has ever seen!" I shout

"Look," Arthur sighs. "No one wants Gaius to go, but my father's made his decision. There's nothing anyone can do." 

"I can't accept this!" I turn on my heels and storm off. 

I entered Gaius's chamber and found it to be empty. I slowly walk over to my room and flop down on my bed and stare at the ceiling. Merlin came into my room with clothes.

"Hey, you okay?" He asks.

I sit up, "Yeah, you need some help with those?" 

"If you don't mind." 

"Not at all." 

I grab some of the clothes from Merlin and walk out the door. We walk down the stairs with the clothes. Just as we get to the bottom of the stairs and turn to the right when we hear someone run up behind us. We turn to the place the footsteps were coming from to see Arthur.

"Olivia, Merlin! My father has Morgana's sickness. We must find Edwin!" 

Merlin and I look at each other, then drop the clothes and run towards Edwin's chamber. Merlin and I burst into his chambers to find Gaius trapped in a circle of fire. We then turn to Edwin.

"What are you doing?" Merlin asks.

"He was trying to kill the king. I couldn't let him." Gaius shouts to us.

"I can rule the kingdom now with you two at my side," Edwin says. "We can be all-powerful."

"Let him go!" I shout

"It's your loss." Edwin says.

Edwin lifts an axe and makes it fly towards us. Merlin bends backwards and made the axe stop in mid-air, Edwin says a spell but nothing happens, Merlin makes the axe fly back toward Edwin. The axe hits and I quickly look away. The flames around Gaius subsided.

"Are you alright?" Merlin asks.

"Yes, thank you," Gaius replies.

"Merlin, Uther!" I say 

Merlin looks at me. I was heading to Edwin's table.

"What are you doing?" Gaius asks.

I grabbed the box of bugs that Edwin showed us. "Uther's ill-- The same thing Morgana had." 

I pass the box to Merlin because the bugs creep me out.

Merlin opens the box "Edwin said he used these to cure Morgana. Maybe we can too." 

Gaius comes to look at the box "Elanthia Beetles."

"They're magical," I say 

"Yes. They can be enchanted to enter the brain, feed on it until they devour the person's very soul. You two must go to him" Gaius says.

Merlin Gaius and I run to Uther's chambers.

"How do we get the beetle out before it kills him," Merlin asks

"It can only be magic," Gaius replies.

"We can't use magic on Uther he will kill us," I say 

"We don't have a choice," Gaius sighs. "He's going to die."

"Olivia, you should do this." Merlin hands me the box.

I take the box cautiously from Merlin "Are you sure?" 

"Definitely" Merlin smiles.

I walk to Uther's side of the bed and sit down next to him. I take a deep breath and put my hands over Uther's ears and close my eyes "Berbay odothay arisan yeldo. Ablinan."

I shut my eyes tightly, and I tense all over. 

"What's happening?" Gaius asks

I ignore him I couldn't risk losing focus. My body loosens, and I open my eyes. I get up from the bed and look at Merlin.

"Did you do it?" He asks

I open my hand to reveal the bug "I did it." 

Gaius looks at me then at Merlin then at the bug "Has anyone ever told you? You're a genius." 

"Well you definitely have not" I smile

Uther slowly opened his eyes, Merlin and I quickly run out. 

"Why did you make me do it?" I ask him as we were walking back to Gaius's chambers.

"Because I knew you could do it." 

"Well, you could've done it too." 

"Yes I could've but... I think you did it better then I could ever have." 

"Yeah right." 

"It's true Liv, I believe in you more than anyone else in the whole world."

"Aww, Merlin."  I stop and give him a hug "I love you"

"I love you too, Liv"

The next day there was a big ceremonial thing for Gaius.

"I, my family, and my kingdom are deeply indebted to you, and in honour of this.  I not only reinstate you as Court Physician but henceforth you are a free man of Camelot." When Uther finishes talking he hands Gaius a scroll.

Everyone begins applauding. Gaius smiles and shakes peoples hands. We went walking out by the city after the ceremony.

"This is ridiculous, I didn't save Uther; You two did," Gaius says.

"No no, for once we're happy for someone else to take the credit, and for the record, Olivia saved Uther, not me." Merlin points out.

"Hey, you helped," I state

"You were prepared to sacrifice your life to save us," Merlin says

"Where'd you get that from?" Gaius asks.

Merlin and I stopped and looked at Gaius.

"We thought--" I start.

"No, I didn't do anything. Merlin, you saved me and Olivia, you saved Uther."  

Gaius was about to stop walking then looked at us. "Maybe you two are geniuses."

"You think so?" Merlin asks

"Well, almost" Gaius replies. "One day."

He starts walking away "Hey! what's that supposed to mean!?" I shout after him.

I look at Merlin and shrugs then follows Gaius. I roll my eyes I am most definitely a genius I don't know about Merlin, but I definitely am.

"You coming?" Merlin calls

"Yeah, I'm coming"