Chapter 36 ~ Moms arrival

Merlin and I went down to the citadel, Gaius sent us to get some water.  

"Would it kill him to get his own water?" I ask while Merlin filled up the bucket.

"Who knows according to Gaius we are his little helpers," 

"Who are you calling little?" 

Merlin laughs at my remarks. We started walking away from the well.

I look at the people walking and see a familiar face "Mother!" 

"Olivia! Merlin!" Our mother smiles.

I run forward and hug her. Merlin hugs both of us. I step away and Merlin cups our moms face.

"What happened?" Merlin asks

I look at what Merlin was looking at and see our mother had a black eye. 

"Who did this to you!" I ask angrily.

Our mother looked at us; she explained everything we organized a meeting with Uther to see if he could help. 

Merlin and I were standing just behind our mother while she's explaining everything to Uther. Arthur was standing next to Uther's chair, Gwen and Morgana were standing two steps down to Arthur.

"The winters are harsh in Ealdor, and there are many children. Some of them won't be strong enough to survive. We barely have enough food as it is. And if Kanen takes our harvest, our children won't live to see another summer. Please, we need your help." Our mother explains.

"Ealdor is in Cenred's kingdom; your safety is his responsibility." Uther states.

"We've appealed to our king, but he cares little for the outlying regions." Our mom was on the verge of tears "You're our only hope." 

Arthur looks down at Uther.

"I have the deepest sympathy for you and would have this barbarian wiped off the face of the earth," Uther says.

"You'll help us?" Our mother asks.

"I wish I could," Uther replies.

Arthur looks at Uther "Surely we can spare a few men." 

"Resources are not a problem." Uther states.

"Then what is?" Morgana asks

"Ealdor lies beyond the ridge of Aesctir. For an army of Camelot to enter-- It would be an act of war." Uther replies.

Our mother gets on her knees "I know you're a good king, a caring man. I'm begging you. Help us, please."

"The accord we've struck with Cenred was years in the making. I cannot risk hundreds of lives for the sake of one village. I'm afraid Camelot cannot help." Uther says.

Morgana glares at Uther then walks forward and helps our mom up.  We follow our mom and Morgana back.

"Merlin we need to--" I begin.

"I know," 

We find Arthur standing on one of the walls looking down over the city. Merlin stands on one side of him, and I was on the other. I lean down on the wall and sigh.

"I'm sorry. If it were up to me, we'd be on our way there now." Arthur says.

"You tried. Thank you for getting an audience with the king." Merlin says.

I stand up and look down to the city.

"I wish Camelot was able to help people, regardless of how far away they lived." Arthur sighs