Chapter 66 ~ Attempt to escape

~Arthur's pov~

I was standing by Merlin and holding a map "If they're holding Olivia anywhere, it has to be here. Which means we can save a day's riding if we cut through the tunnels of Andor." I look up at the tunnels.

"Oh, no. I know that face. I'm not going to like this, am I?" Merlin asks "What's in the tunnels?"

"They're infested with Wilddeoren," I say casually.

"What're Wilddeoren?"

"They're like giant..." I look at the fear in his eyes "Baby rats" I finish 

"Baby rats?" Merlin smiles  "They don't sound so bad."

"They feast on human flesh," I say quickly.

"Maybe we should go over the mountains."

I look around and see some berries I hand the map to Merlin and walk over to the berries.

"Uh, what're you doing?" He asks

"Wilddeoren are completely blind. They hunt by sense of smell." I explain, I pick a berry and hold it up "Gaja berries will put them off the scent. So if we smear ourselves with them, perhaps we can pass through the tunnels undetected."

I grab the berries and smear them over my face. Merlin does the same.

"Oh! These stink. They are awful."

I look at Merlin "Perhaps you would prefer to be eaten alive?"

Merlin walks forward "Pass me some more, will you?"

I grab some berries and wipe them all over his face. We light some torches and walk into the cave as we get in we here a Wilddeoren screeching. I stop and wait for the noise to stop. I look at Merlin and nod. We continue walking.

"Ah, I just stood on something," Merlin says

"That was my foot," I say 

"Oh! sorry." merlin says "How much further is it?"

"Shh"

I look around and see a shadow of a Wilddeoren I drop my torch then grab Merlin's and push sand over it putting them out.

"Wilddeoren they're coming this way," I say 

Two Wilddeoren come from the tunnels.

"Whatever happens, stay completely still," I say 

The Wilddeoren walks straight to us and starts sniffing Merlin's face; it screeches and leaves. We both sigh in relief. We get up and head out of the cave.

We head down to the river and clean our faces.

I grab a piece of berry off my face "The Gaja berries worked. Hm"

I continue cleaning my face.

"You didn't know if they worked?" Merlin asks

I shake my head "Not for sure."

I stand up.

Merlin stands up. "Now, you tell me? 'What's that Wilddeoren eating?'  'it's all right. It's just Merlin.' "

I laugh at Merlin

"Are you trying to get us both killed?" He asks

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have risked your life like that." I apologise

"They do say love makes you do strange things," Merlin says, looking away from me.

"What are you talking about?" I ask