Chapter 59 ~ The Assasin

I helped Arthur onto his horse.

"You'll have to pass me my lance," Arthur says 

I grab the lance and hand it to Arthur "This is crazy, and you call us idiots."

He looks at me then canters into the arena.

Merlin comes running up to me "Liv? Where's Arthur?" 

"He's about to joust," I say 

"He's jousting against the assassin," Merlin says

"What!" I shout.

Merlin runs past me, and I follow him. We get onto the stands. I lost Merlin in the crowd. I look to the arena and see that Arthur and the assassin were getting closer to each other. I look at the assassins lance and see a sharp object come out from the tip.

I focus on the horse's girth "Onbind tha teage" 

The girth bursts which I did not intend, I look at Merlin and see that he did the same thing. The assassin leans far to the right because his saddle was loose. Arthur sees an opportunity and urges his horse on. Arthur hits the Assassin with his lance, and the assassin flips backwards and falls off his horse. I run to Merlin then both of us quickly go to Arthur. We both help him down from his horse then put his arms over our shoulder and help him into the tent.

We sit Arthur down on the chair.

"You were jousting against the assassin. He killed Sir Alynor and took his place." Merlon says "The people are waiting for their champion. It's time to reveal yourself."

Arthur looks at me, then looks at the farmer.

"You must go and collect the trophy" Arthur gestures to the farmer.

"I thought this was going to be your big moment," I say 

"Perhaps this is a time for humility," Uther says

I smile at him, he nods his head at the farmer. The farmer walks out of the tent. Merlin and I smile at me. Arthur and I share a look, he looks away. We walk out of the tent and watch as the farmer rides the horse into the arena and stops in front of Uther, he holds his Lance up and everyone cheers. We all smile at him and applaud. 

Merlin and I see the Gaius and some men carrying the assassin into the tent. We quickly walk to the tent and open the doorway.

Gaius lifts the part of his helmet that covers his eyes. 

Gaius looks at us "Merlin, Olivia, who is this man? Where is Sir Alynor?"

Merlin and I smile. Gaius sighs and shakes his head. 

A little later Arthur was standing in front of the king, I was standing to the side with Merlin and Gaius.

"The assassin attacked us as we were returning to Camelot. I was injured whilst killing him." Arthur explains

Uther sits up straight "Odin must pay for this. We must strike back at him."

"Surely you understand the grief he feels for the loss of his son. We should try make piece with him. There's been enough bloodshed." Arthur says

I smile at Arthur.

"Perhaps you're right. How was the rest of your trip? Fruitful?" Uther asks

Arthur nods "Very" Arthur's eyes drift to me "I learnt a great deal." 

I smile and look at the floor. 

Arthur takes a breath and looks back at Uther "How was the tournament?" 

"Excellent. We have a new champion. Sir William of Deira." Uther says

Merlin and I stifle a laugh.

Arthur smiles "I'm sorry I missed all the excitement."

We look at Gaius and he was glaring at us. Merlin and I go back to being serious. Arthur looks at me again. I smile at him then look away. He looks at the ground then back at Uther and nods.

The court was ajurned and I walked out with Merlin and Gaius. I walked out a little after Arthur. I turned the opposite way to him with Gaius and Merlin.

"Olivia" Arthur calls

Merlin stops and looks at me. 

"Go ahead, I'll catch up." I say 

Merlin nods and continues walking.

I turn and walk over to Arthur. He looks down and clears his throat.

He looks at me and just stands there for a bit.  "What happened, while we were staying at Gwen's, I'm afraid my father will never understand." 

I shake my head "You don't have to explain, I understand."

It was difficult to hear Arthur say that but I wanted to stay strong.

"Maybe, when you are king it will be different." I say

We look at each other and I feel my heart skip a beat when I see his eyes.

"Arthur?" Uther calls

Arthur looks back to Uther. He looks back at me then walks away.

My heart breaks as I watch him walk away. I feel tears rolling down my cheeks I try and blink them away, but it was no use. As Arthur was walking he turns and looks back at me. I try and smile but It hurt to much. Arthur looks at the wall, where I'm pretty sure he could just see me, he looks back to the front and continues walking after his father.

I wipe the tears from my face and turn and walk after Gaius and Merlin. I walk into Gaius's chambers to find Merlin kneeling partly inside the leech tank cleaning it.

"This is horrible" He says he crawls out of the tank "This is so disgusting."

"Well, perhaps you will think twice before lying to me in future." Gaius says.

Merlin glares at Gaius and was about to go back into cleaning.

"Mer," I say

He look at me "Yeah?"

"There's something on your face" I say 

"Where?" He asks

He begins fumbling around his face and feels the leech on his forehead, Merlin starts scrambling around trying to get the leeches off his face. 

Gaius and I burst out laughing at Merlin, trying to get them off.

I was happy to be with them, they were getting my mind off of Arthur. Gaius goes back to reading his book.

I walk over to Merlin "Here let me help" 

I grab the leeches of his face 

"Eww, that is disgusting" I drop the leech into the tank

"Yes, well at least they aren't on your face" He says

"I can stop helping you" I say 

"No, no I'm sorry please get them off."

I giggle at Merlin and pull the last of the leeches off.