Chapter 41 ~ Anhora

By the time Arthur had come back from being with his father, we were already with Gaius. He just got back from being called by Uther. Apparently, all the crops throughout the kingdom had died.

"Any idea what caused the crops to die?" Merlin asks

"I've yet to complete all the tests, but no disease I've heard of could spread through the entire kingdom, in a single knight,"  Gaius replies

"What else could kill all the plants if it wasn't a disease." I ask 

"It's not killing all the plants. Trees and hedges around the crop fields are unharmed. Unfortunately, you can't eat trees and hedges." Gaius states.

"It's only killing plants we can eat?" Merlin asks

"It appears so," Gaius replies.

 "If it's not a disease..." Merlin starts

"It must be magic" I continue

"We can't assume that yet," Gaius says "Perhaps there is something in the soil and water that can explain it. I can't tell the king it's caused by sorcery unless I'm completely certain." 

Merlin and I watch Gaius as tries to find a solution.

A while later Merlin and I were walking through the city there were people from outlying villages coming to Camelot for food. We were about to walk back to the castle.

"Merlin, Olivia" We stop and turn to see Gwen by the water. "Is it true what they're saying about the crops? They're all dead?" 

"Afraid so" Merlin replies. "Think we may have to start tightening our belts."

Merlin and I begin walking again.

"I'm sure Arthur will think of something," Gwen says.

Merlin and I stop again.

"Well if he doesn't, we will," I say

Gwen smiles. Merlin and I walk away.

"Merlin, Olivia!" Gwen shouts.

We come back and look at Gwen pumping the supposed water. Instead of water coming out it was sand.

After Merlin and I told Arthur. We took a bucket of sand and took it back to our chambers. We were trying to use magic to turn the sand back into the water. Gaius comes into our room.

"Um, we were just--" Merlin says trying to think of an excuse

"I was hoping you might be trying to turn it back into water," Gaius says

Merlin and I exchange confused looks. Gaius walks to the chair in front of us.

"I know I've cautioned against using magic, but if ever there was a time to use your talents, It's now," Gaius says

"Well, I wish we knew how," Merlin says

"We've tried everything," I explain. "If it Is magic, it's more powerful magic then we possess."

Merlin and I were at Arthur's chambers almost the whole day it was night now and we were heading back to our room.

"Merlin, Olivia!" Arthur calls while walking towards us.

We stop in our tracks and look at Arthur.

"You do realize there is a curfew?" He asks

"Yeah, we were in your chambers hunting for the rat,"  Merlin explains

"Did you find it?" Arthur was almost by us.