Chapter 34 ~ Excalibur

Merlin and I burst into Arthurs chambers to see him practising with his sword. He was stabbing the air.

"Merlin, you know that conversation we had about knocking?" Arthur asks

"I wasn't there, so I don't count," I say 

"You have to pull out," Merlin says, ignoring Arthur and me.

"And why's that?" Arthur asks

"Because he'll kill you!" I blurt out.

"Why does everybody think that?" Arthur asks angrily.

"Because they're right," Merlin says.

Arthur shakes his head and looks down.

"Pull out. You're the crown prince. No one wants to see you die over some stupid challenge." I state.

Arthur was busy examining his sword "I'm not a coward."

"I know that," Merlin replies. "We've stood there, and we have watched you overcome every fear you've ever faced." 

"That's what's required of me."  Arthur turned away from us and stood like he was preparing for battle.

"But you are more than that." I walk over to him. "You're not merely a warrior. You're a prince, a future king! You've proved your courage, but you must prove your wisdom."

"I'm not backing down," Arthur says calmly.

"Okay, I'm not going to stand around and watch you die," I turn and walk to the door.

"Olivia," Arthur calls.

I ignore him and walk out the door, slamming it behind me.

I knew Arthur was arrogant, and he didn't want to lose his pride, but I didn't know he was willing to die to uphold his honour and show he is no coward. I don't want him to die. 

Merlin came running up behind me. 

"Olivia, come on." He ran straight past me.

"Where are we going?" I ask, running after him.

"To the library, there must be something that can kill the wraith," Merlin calls back to me.

We arrive at the library to find the door was locked. Merlin uses a spell to open it.

We walk in and begin looking through books. After looking for quite a while, Merlin sighs and puts the book, he was reading on the table. He looks up and goes to another shelf and looks at those books, and he grabs one of them, knocking another one down in the process. As Merlin bent down to grab it, I see the librarian person standing above him.

"How did you two get in here?" He asks crudely.

Merlin looks up at him "The door was open."

"No, I locked it." He replies.

"Someone else must've opened it then." I cut in.

"And you thought you'd come in and help yourself?"  He asks again.

"We were looking for a book," Merlin quickly grabs the books on the floor and stands up "For Gaius. He thinks the black knight is a wraith." 

"Then Arthur is in grave peril." He states.

"Which is why we're here," I say.

Merlin walks to the table and puts the book down, "We need to find a weapon, that will kill something that's already dead."

"Well, I have read of such things in the ancient chronicles."  The librarian states.

"Really?" Merlin asks happily.