Chapter 15 ~ The Mortaeus flower

Arthur and I followed the girl into the cave. We all grabbed a torch so we could actually see where we were going. Arthur stops and looks at a part of a cave that just drops to who knows where. The girl turns to look at him, then continues walking.  Arthur and I looked at each other then continue following her. We reach an area that has a rock ledge hanging over a huge chasm. I walk over to one of the sides just before the ledge and look down the chasm looks bottomless which is terrifying.

"There they are," The girl points to the flowers.

Arthur walks forward and stands next to me he looks up at the flowers then looks down.

He looks at the girl, "Stay away from the edge. Don't worry, we'll be out of here soon,"

Arthur looks at me and slowly walks to the edge of the ledge I slowly walk behind him, when I hear the girl start mumbling something, I strain to hear what she is saying when she starts speaking louder, she was doing magic.

"What are you doing?" Arthur shouts 

She ignores him and speaks louder then suddenly the whole ledge breaks off Arthur and I drop our torches. Arthur jumps and grabs onto the small ledge on the other side. Unfortunately, I wasn't so lucky I missed the ledge. I closed my eyes, when I feel something grab my arm, I open my eyes to see Arthur hanging by one hand on the small ledge and holding me with the other. He lifts me up and I grab hold of the ledge once he made sure I had a secure grip he let go of me and held back onto the ledge. I could see Arthur was struggling to hold on and quite frankly so was I.

"I expected so much more." The girl scolds.

"Who are you?" Arthur asks.

"The last face you'll ever see," She smirks

Arthur grunts angrily, I didn't have time to focus on the girl because there was a big spider coming straight for us.

"Seems we have a visitor," The girl states.

Arthur and I begin shifting away from the spider but the spider had already climbed down from where it was and was going straight for Arthur, He let go of the ledge and was holding on with one hand, Arthur drew his sword with the other, just as the spider jumped at Arthur he hit it with the sword and sent it falling into the chasm.

"Very good, and you?" She says gesturing to me. "You have great skills why don't you use them?" 

"I don't know what you're talking about!" I shout.

She laughs

"Oh and that spider won't be the last, I'll let his friends finish you two off Arthur Pendragon and  Olivia Wyllt, it isn't your destiny to die at my hand!"  The girl turns around and walks away.

"Who are you!" Arthur shouts.

While Arthur was screaming like an idiot I was beginning to lose my grip.

"Arthur... I can't hold on for much longer," I say.

While we were hanging there a blue orb floats up from below us. It lit up everything so we could see what we were doing

"Come on then! What are you waiting for? Finish us off!" Arthur shouts

The orb just floats I look at Arthur then pull myself up, Arthur does the same. We stand up out of breath. Arthur looks up at the flower. Then quickly looks down we hear hissing, more spiders were coming. Arthur and I begin climbing we both stop when we reach the flower, Arthur was closer to it so he grabs it, once he has it he put it into his pouch. I look down and see the spiders were getting closer.

"Okay time to go!" I shout 

Arthur and I both try to climb but we kept slipping.

"The gloves. Take them off," I say 

Arthur and I rapidly pull our gloves off and drop them then begin climbing we climb as fast as we can. When we get to the top we both jumped up so fast and drew our swords but nothing came out, so we put our swords back and ran to the horses. It was late we were in the cave for a long time apparently. Arthur and I jumped onto our horses and galloped for Camelot. Arthur and I arrive at Camelot by morning. Just before we enter the city gates we were stopped by six guards.

"What are you doing? let me pass," Arthur scolds

"I'm sorry sire. But you two are under arrest, by order of the king," one of the guards says.

Arthur and I were put into the same prison cell luckily we got to take off our Armor before we were thrown into jail.

"You disobeyed me," Uther scolds

"Of course I did a man's life is at steak," Arthur retaliates. "Do not let Merlin die because of something we did," 

"Why do you care so much? The boy's just a servant,"  Uther says,

"Who are you calling just a servant?" I lurch forward wanting to attack Uther but Arthur grabs me.

"Calm down," Arthur whispers to me "This will not help Merlin,"

"I care because he knew the danger he was putting himself in; He knew what would happen if he drank from that goblet but he did it anyway. He saved my life." Arthur replies. "There's more. There was a woman at the mountain. She knew I was there for the flower. I don't think it was Bayard who tried to poison me."

"Of course it was," Uther says

Arthur grabs the flower from the pouch around his waist. He walks forward and holds it out to Uther.

"Gaius knows what to do with it." Uther grabs the flower from Arthur, "Put me in the stocks for a week, a month even. I don't care. Just make sure it gets to him!" Arthur pleads "And please let Olivia out she is not at fault," 

"I will let the girl out," Uther says "Guards escort her out." 

I look at Arthur as one of the guards came to get me. Arthur nods and smiles. Just as I was walking out I turn to see Uther crush the flower.

"No!" Arthur shouts

"You have to learn there's a right and a wrong way of doing things I'll see you let out in a week." Uther turns and walks out of the cell dropping the flower.

Before I could grab the flower a guard pulls me away and pushes me up the stairs. I take one last look at Arthur then run to Gaius's chambers.