Chapter 56 ~ Swapped lives

Merlin and I were watching Arthur practising his jousting for the tournament coming up. He beat the knight he was going against easily. We walk over to Arthur. 

"That has got to hurt," Merlin says.

Arthur lifts the part of the helmet that goes over his eyes. 

"That's the point, Merlin. It's not a pillow fight." Arthur says. "Fetch me another lance, will you?" 

Merlin grabs Arthur's old lance and runs to get a new one. He hands the new one to Arthur. Arthur goes back to the starting line and pulls the thing down to guard his eyes, he urges his horse on to charge, as Arthur was charging the sun shone into his eyes and he pulled away. But the other knight pulled away too. It was sir Leon. He got off his horse and pulled his helmet off.  Arthur stopped his horse and threw his lance to the floor then jumped off his horse and took off his helmet.

"Why did you pull out? You could have unhorsed me." Arthur says walking to us.

Leon looks at Arthur "I didn't want to injure you, Sire." Leon says

"You had the advantage." Arthur states "You can't afford to hesitate."

"Yes, if I were facing a different opponent. You are the future King, my Lord." Leon says

"You jousted against me in the tournament last year." Arthur steps forward "Are you saying you let me win?" 

"No, my Lord" Leon replies

Arthur turns and looks at the other knight "It doesn't matter who I am. I do not expect any special treatment from you," He points to Leon "from any of you. Is that understood!"

Everyone nods.

Arthur storms away. Merlin and I quickly follow him.  He bursts into his chambers.

"How am I going to prove myself if my opponents aren't  trying their hardest?" Arthur complains 

"I'm sure it's not happening all the time," I say trying to calm him down.

"So it's happening some of the time?" He asks

"Oh, I'm certain it isn't,"  I say 

"Now you're doing it! You're telling me exactly what you think I  want to hear!" Arthur shouts.

He pulls his armour off and throws it onto the floor.

"Yes." Merlin smiles

Arthur glares at Merlin.

"No. What was the question?" I ask

Arthur rolls his eyes and looks at the roof "That just proves it." He throws his gloves on the floor "All my life, I've been treated as if I'm special. I just want to be treated like everyone else." 

Merlin picks up Arthur's gloves "Really?" 

Merlin was struggling to pick up Arthur's armour.

"You have no idea how lucky you two are," Arthur says.

"Anytime you want to swap places, just let me know." Merlin finally picks his armour up.

Arthur turns to look at Merlin "That's not a totally stupid idea." 

"Well, your Prince Arthur you can't exactly change who you are," Merlin says walking away.

"Yes, I can," Arthur says.

I slowly back away and walk out the door. 

That night Merlin was serving Arthur and the king their dinner. They were telling the king that Arthur was going on a hunting trip for the duration of the tournament. But he wasn't actually leaving he was going to meet Merlin in the forest then get into some peasant clothes and come back into Camelot. He was going to stay at Gwen's house which I convinced her to do.