Chapter 48 ~ Questing Beast

Merlin and I were out hunting with Arthur and a few of his men. We were creeping through many small trees; Merlin was holding all of Arthurs weapons. We stopped and knelt by the trees.

"Merlin, spear" Arthur says

Merlin attempts to give Arthur the spear, but he manages to hit it against a tree and drop it. Arthur looks at Merlin with absolute disappointment.

He grabs the spear "Do you have any natural gifts, Merlin?" 

"No. Let me think. I'm not naturally rude or insensitive." Merlin says

I roll my eyes and creep past them "You two fight like an old married couple."

"Just naturally irritating then," Arthur mumbles.

"I heard that," I say back to him.

I was walking ahead of them, and I heard an animal growling. I stop dead in my tracks.

"Yeah, Arthur, why don't you take this," I say, stepping back. 

I was standing behind Merlin. I may be good with a bow and arrow but doesn't mean I want to deal with an animal.

Arthur looks at me "It's probably more scared of you than you are of it."  

Arthur gestures two nights to go to the right and another two to go to the left Arthur was still looking to the back when a giant snake leopard thing jumped out in front of us.

"Are you sure it's more scared of us?" I ask

Arthur looks to the front and looks absolutely shocked. Arthur drops his spear. 

"Run!" He yells  

Arthur spins around and grabs me.  Everyone runs behind us; I glance back and see Merlin fall. The snake thing was right above him. 

"Arthur, help Merlin!" I shout

Arthur glances back "Keep going!" He lets go of my hand and goes back to help Merlin.

I didn't look back until we stopped at a clearing. I spin around and see both Merlin and Arthur. I sigh gratefully and walk to Merlin.

"I'm so happy you're okay." I hug Merlin.

"Did we lose it?" Merlin asks, letting go of me.

"Who's missing?" Arthur asks.

Merlin looks around "Where's Sir Bedivere?" 

We hear Bedivere screaming then the creature roaring from the way we came. We all stare at the woods. 

"I'm done." I turn and walk back toward Camelot. 

When we get back to Camelot, we head to the courtroom, and Arthur tells Uther everything.

"The creature you describe has all the characteristics of the questing beast," Gaius explains.