Chapter 76 ~ Guilty

My face drops, he had no evidence, but he was right. Merlin grabs my hand.

Arthur raises his eyebrows "Merlin, and Olivia? You can't be serious!"

"This is outrageous! You have no evidence!" Gaius shouts

"The tools of magic cannot be hidden from me. I'm certain that a thorough search of the boy and girl's chambers will deliver us all we need." Aredian says

"Merlin, Olivia?" Uther asks

"We have nothing to hide from him," Merlin says

"Very well. Guards, restrain them." Uther sits down "Let the search begin."

Four guards come and grab Merlin and me.  I look at Arthur, and he looks worried but shocked at the same time. Merlin and I get dragged away and taken to the dungeons. 

Once the guards walk away, I turn to Merlin.

"Do you think they'll find anything?" I ask 

"No we hid the book, and there's nothing else that can tie us to magic" Merlin replies.

I sit down against the wall. Merlin sits down next to me.

"Why is having magic so difficult?" I ask

"I don't know, Liv," Merlin says

 I put my head on Merlin's shoulder. We sit there in silence for a while.

I hear the key in the cell, the door opens, and the light shines onto us. I lift my head off Merlin's shoulder and see Arthur in the doorway.

"You're free to go," Arthur says.

Merlin stands up and pulls me up. A guard pulls me and Merlin out. We were walking out of the dungeon when I saw Gaius getting pulled in by a guard.

"Gaius!" I shout

"What's going on?" Merlin asks

Gaius walks past us "Say nothing, Merlin, Olivia. Do nothing. Promise me!" 

I try and pull away from the guard, but it was no use. The guard pushes us out. 

Merlin and I walk to Gaius's chambers. It was trashed, almost everything was broken.

We walk in; Merlin lifts one of Gaius's test tubes. 

He looks like he was about to cry, and so was I. This was our fault.  I walk into Merlin's chest; he puts his arms around me.

Merlin and I watch as two guards take Gaius to wherever Aredian is. Gaius was barely walking more like getting dragged. Merlin grabs my hand and pulls me toward the dragon. He grabs a torch, and we walk down the steps and into the opening of the cave.

The dragon was sleeping, but as we walk in, he sits up.

"What is wrong young, witch and warlock? You both look so pale.

"We did a stupid thing! A stupid, stupid thing!" Merlin says

"And Gaius is going to die because of us," I say 

"Gaius means nothing to me." The dragon says.

"But he means a great deal to us!" Merlin shouts.

"Very well, tell me what has happened." The dragon agrees.

Merlin exhales "A witchfinder has come. He has arrested Gaius for sorcery, but we are the sorcerers.

"Yes, I suppose you are." The dragon says.