Snowman | Christmas Special

A/N
hiya, guys! I apologise for the lack of updates. I know you probs don't wanna know my life story, so all I can say is that I've been struggling quite a bit recently. I haven't forgotten about this book tho - in fact, reading your comments never fails to brighten my day, so thank you so much uwu

I hope you had a lovely Christmas if you celebrate it! <3

without further ado, here's a belated, soft Christmas side-story (which is not directly linked to the main plot of this fic) :))

---

As much as you wanted to spend Christmas with Todoroki, you knew that you needed to stay at home. You opened the curtains and tilted your head to the side as you looked out into the street. Yet, you couldn't shake this heavy feeling inside you, as if a weight was crushing you and you couldn't do anything about it.

Come on, (y/n). You took a deep breath in. I'm sure Sho wouldn't like to see you brooding like this, especially when he promised he'd call you.

Forcing a smile, you drew a happy face on the window. But the condensed water soon made it look as if it was crying.

You sighed and cleaned the water off the window, only to spot a figure walking down the road. Out of curiosity, you attempted to open the window to get a better look, but the frost had jammed it shut.

The tall boy's left a trail of footsteps in the snow as he rubbed his hands together. They were steaming up, just like Todoroki's would when he warmed his hands up. He would usually then place them on your cheeks, which would time and again fluster you.

Snapping yourself out of your day dream, you noticed the boy turn left and walk towards your houses entrance. His head was down, but you could tell by the self-conscious way he carried himself, that he was probably Todoroki? Maybe, he wanted to surprise you?

Before you had the chance to change out of your pyjamas, the doorbell rang.

"I'm busy at the moment. Can you get it, (y/n)?" you heard your father shout from the kitchen, not without a hint that he had rehearsed his words.

Your heart sped up, pounding against your ribcage. Todoroki was here to see you. And you had only just rolled out of bed.

Rushing to your wardrobe, you took the first clothes that you saw and dashed towards the toilet. In the blink of an eye, you splashed some water on your face and brushed your teeth. You ran down the stair as you combed your hair with your hands, but you tripped over your feet and lost your balance.

You pulled on the crook of your Christmas jumper, realising that your scarf wasn't there.

Crap.

Your left knee was the first one to meet the carpeted stairs, and so followed the rest of your body as you rolled down the stairs. Soon as you made to the first floor, the doorbell rang again.

"Is everything okay, (y/n)?" you heard your father's concerned voice.

All achy, with a rush of adrenalin, you still stood up. "Y-Yeah, no worries!"

As you opened the door, your heart sank. No one was there.

You surveyed the street with your (e/c) eyes, not wanting to believe Todoroki wasn't there. You crinkled your nose as you noticed a massive snowman in the front lawn. There weren't many children on your street so something was off. Most suspicious of all, life energy was emanating from within it.

The winter's wind chilled your skin, as you left the door ajar and took some measure steps towards the snowman. "You know... I can tell it's you," you whispered.

A chill ran down Todoroki's spine, but he only tensed up as he felt the snow around his torso be compressed a little. Nothing could compare to having your arms wrapped around him. He didn't even care about the cold anymore. As if all the frost on his pale skin had been worth it, just for this peculiar moment.

"You got me," Todoroki let out through his blue lips.

You distanced yourself from him before you said, "You'd better get that snow off you. I don't want you to be Snow Shoto forever. It might just bring too many violent flashbacks from your first hero costume."

As Todoroki shook the snow off him, he thought his pulse stopped.

He had been searching from the bottom to the top for such a sight, as the one he caught when he saw your smile. A smile with a twist in it, like a child determined not to weep.

After what seemed like an eternity of Todoroki staring at you, you made yourself meet eyes with him. "Let's head inside, Sho." You held out your hand out to him.

Todoroki extended his palm to you and responded with a firm handshake. And, though your eyebrows raised in amazement, the least you expected was for him to lean in and whisper next to your ear. "Merry Christmas."

"And to you too." You squeezed his hand back, playfully standing in the tips of your toes so you could ask him a question. "I assume my dad knows your here?"

"Yeah, you're right. You're good at reading those kinds of cues, aren't you?" Todoroki's warm breath condensed near your cheek, making you want to place a kiss on his lips. "Little Miss detective," he teased.

"You know, you're dense too, so you're on thin ice, Mr Snowman." Tentatively, you drew closer towards him. But when he gave you an uncharacteristic bear hug, your whole body ached from your fall down the stairs.

Todoroki backed off a bit, noticing you bit your lip to quieten a small yelp. "Don't tell me you've been training too hard again."

You shook your head, still not believing that he was here with you. Even though you wanted to bring up why he wasn't with his family now, you decided that you could always ask later. For now, you reckoned you should have both just headed inside before you died from hypothermia.

You intertwined your cold fingers with his, as both of you stepped into the porch.

"I hope my hands are not too cold for you, (y/n)." Todoroki looked down a little sheepish, with only one though in his mind right now: how fortunate he was to have you. Even after all he had put you through. Even after all you two had been together. How every time he saw you, he still wanted to give you his undivided attention.

In all honesty, it puzzled him. He struggled to fathom that he once believed that making connections with other people would distract him from becoming the hero he wanted to be. If anything, every day, he worked harder with his end goal closer to his heart because of you.

You shook your head slightly, noting that Todoroki had stopped in his tracks. He often did this; he withdrew into himself when something didn't make sense. Or, whenever his emotions were too strong to handle all at once.

You understood this, and because he had told you that it helped him when you pulled him out of that spiral of over-analysing things, you cleared your throat. "No worries. Yeah, your hands are cold but so are mine."

Todoroki brushed his thumb over your knuckles, cherishing the feeling of your skin against his.

"But you know what they say," you continued. "Cold hands, warm heart."

Puzzled by his sudden urge to pull you closer to him, Todoroki nodded. "May I kiss you?"

He awaited for your response, so you caught him off guard when he found his face an inch away from yours. He studied every last detail of it before closing his eyes. When he met your soft lips in a slow, tender kiss, he felt like he had found his place with you.

Feeling so at home in a place so far away from his own made him wonder what he had done to deserve you. You made him feel as if he deserved the world, no matter the time of the year, but especially today. Christmas had always been a day he had grown to hate before he met you.

His hand lingered by your hair as his lips hovered above yours. If everything just had faded away at this very moment, neither of you would have cared. You had each other, and suspended in the air were the words which you both left unsaid. I love you.