7 | Petals

The park's cherry blossom trees had already started blooming, painting a distinct picture with their delicate colours and fragrant smell. You glanced up to the street clock, where your friend had told you to wait at noon. It was already one o'clock. You pondered whether her secretiveness surrounding today had anything to do with a surprise. Perhaps, it was a gift to congratulate you for securing a place at U.A.'s hero course?

As a brisk gust of wind blew past you, cascades of petals blew by with it. You were about to reach out for one when you noticed someone walking towards you. Shoto Todoroki. It gave you a funny feeling, seeing him three months after you had vowed not to cross paths with him ever again. Especially after the abrupt argument you'd had with both your father and uncle. What a way to shatter the joy of receiving an acceptance letter.

Todoroki wasn't the best with faces nor names, with anything other his objective of becoming a hero and his hatred for his father taking the sidelines in his life. Truth be told, he couldn't even remember your surname, and so had unexpectedly opted to call your attention by your first name so he could get this over and done with as soon as possible.

"Hey, (y/n)." He stopped in his tracks in front of you, tilting his head to one side as he gave you a once-over. The muscles in his face tightened, but that grimace soon disappeared, leaving his pale face devoid of any emotion. "Why did you want to meet me here?"

You furrowed your brows, confused as to what he meant. "What? No, I'm meeting my friend today."

"I see. Did you not send me this message?"

Narrowing your eyes at Todoroki, you read the text on his phone. If you hadn't allowed your friend to share your phone number with the boy, you wouldn't want to arrange a meeting with him. "No way. I never use flower emojis."

Another gust of wind blew past you, carrying even more pink petals, some of which got stuck on your hair. If this was Chiharu's surprise, you'd make sure to get back at her later.

Todoroki held his ground and let out an almost inaudible, yet drawn-out sigh. He had come all the way here because, in his eyes, you had asked him to. And understanding that you didn't wish to see him today only reinforced his desire to distance you and your family from his own. "Can I use this time to talk to you?"

So you tell me to stay away from you, and then ask me to talk to you? Bruh, I'm glad I never got my hopes up. You averted your gaze from Todoroki; although direct as ever, you couldn't wrap your head around him.

"Yeah, I guess you can."

The boy's expression turned a more serious. "Are you aware that my father will invite you to live with us? You must decline his offer."

The memories of opening the U.A. envelope rushed back into your mind. Though still bitter, you had argued against moving into the Todoroki household enough to come to accept it. Your ever-pragmatic uncle had made it crystal clear to you. With your family's delicate economic situation and your father's feeble health, they could not afford to move to Musutafu City with you. Nor were you allowed to live on your own, as you were underage. You could not attend U.A. unless you accepted Endeavor's generous proposal to host you for the time being.

"Yeah, I know about it. I don't agree with it, but I have to take the offer."

Todoroki gave you a pained look. He had known his father for long enough to predict that you moving in with them was filled with the most awful ulterior motives. Todoroki believed that if he managed to put you off, he would save you a lot of suffering. Suffering he had personally endured for years, one so deep and soul-crushing that had left his mother in a psychiatric facility.