42 | Haven

"For all hundred of you that passed the first phase of the Provisional License Exam, please watch this."

"It's the field..." Midoriya muttered.

"I wonder what's going to happen?" Ochaco's cheeks tinted a darker pink than usual as she looked at Midoriya, who stood by your side.

You nodded as you looked up to the massive screen, rubbing your sore wrist with your hand. Explosions caused the buildings and mountains in the arena collapse, making you and your classmates gape in disbelief.

"This will be the last phase of the exam. We will have you all perform rescue exercises as bystanders in this disaster site," the main examiner explained, his voice croaky. "We will assume that you have received your provisional licenses and test how well you can carry out suitable rescue procedures."

A quick image of Christmas Eve popped into your mind. The small child with the teal jacket sniffling in the alley as you lunged forwards to help him, only to be held back by no one other than Todoroki. You glanced behind you, still keeping away from him as he had asked you.

For a faint moment, his eyes flickered to you.

With your heart jolting in place, you froze on the spot. Unlike recently, Todoroki's expression bore the same anguish you had been witness to in the days leading up to the Sports Festival. As if he was teetering off the edge of losing his cool.

You gave him a concerned look as you mouthed 'you okay?'.

Of course he wasn't bloody okay. But you knew that he would say that he was if you asked. You couldn't stand him doing that to you. Even though he was trying to protect you, your heart sank at the unfairness of it all.

What's wrong, Sho?

Droplets of water fell from Todoroki's hair to the floor. If no one could tell and he just endured it, there was no problem, right? That's how he had always handled things. But you had to go ahead and keep pushing until this age-old mess began to boil over.

When he broke his steady eye contact with you, your eyes slowly trailed back to the screen. You bit the inside of your cheek, worried sick, yet tried to focus on the instructions as they droned on.

"Professional people-in-need-rescue?" you echoed, earning you an impressed look from Midoriya. Even though he had noticed the rising tension between you and Todoroki, you still didn't miss a beat.

The sleep-deprived man continued, "The people from the Help Us Company, otherwise known as H.U.C., are on standby at the site. We will now have you all carry out their rescue."

With that, you clenched your fist in front of you. Come on, (y/n). You've got this. All this time and training... I'll pass the exam, and then I'll work things out with Shoto. You thought, though it was easier said than done, and it left such a bitter aftertaste of dread.

---

Bakugo scoffed at the thought of the entrance exam. "Only a dumbass like her would get their fuckin' points deducted for being too damn keen to help people."

"You're the one to talk, bro. Why did you need to shout at the civilians to help themselves up?" Kirishima hurried behind his explosive best friend, not without stealing a glance at you as you headed in the opposite direction of them.

Nearby, the number ten pro hero, Gang Orca, neared the centre of the arena, the wind ruffling his pink tie.

You shuddered as you noted that his ranking as the number three hero who looked like a villain was justified. Though this role suited him a little too well, you reckoned that you couldn't judge him solely on his appearance. His quirk was the main issue, and it would make it even harder to beat him.