44 | Together

Upon waking, you burrowed yourself into the soft cotton sheets. The faint murmurs across the nurse's room didn't cease, and you blinked a few times so that the light seeping through the window would stop blinding you.

Sitting up so you could catch Recovery Girl's voice, your heart dropped. She was on the phone to your father, asking him whether your quirk had always acted up on you this way.

My quirk... it's been more powerful but more erratic since right before the Sports Festival. I don't know of anyone who's quirk messes with them so much... except Midoriya's?

You rubbed the sleep from your eyes, last night's events flooding into your mind. Todoroki. You looked down at your palms and then to the side of the bed, searching for a note or indication that he was okay. But then bile rose in your throat as black dots clouded your vision.

Recovery Girl swiftly opened the curtain at the sound of your retching. "Young (y/n), here, have this," she urged you as she handed you a sick bucket.

Holding the bucket between your hands, you pressed your lips into a grim line and glanced up to Recovery Girl's concerned face, a far cry from her usual serene expression. Why should a girl like you ever have to carry so much on her shoulders?

Now that you thought about it, Recovery Girl didn't keep such a close eye on anyone's quirk but yours. Though she tried to play it off, she methodically took small blood samples from you every time you came back from home.

You swallowed the lump in your throat. "Recovery Girl," you began, unsure of how to phrase it, but still itching to know her thoughts. "How would we know if there's been any foul play with my quirk?"

Recovery Girl adjusted her purple-tinted visor. The youthful, inquiring glint in your facial features almost made her back down. She was keeping as close an eye on you as she could, but she also knew that she could only obscure the truth from you for so long. "I know you're a curious child, but there are some things you wouldn't understand yet."

Your tongue felt heavy in your mouth. "Would we know, though?"

"I can't be certain of that yet. Only time will tell."

And I haven't got enough time to be wasting. You sat up on the bed and attempted one of your best fake smiles, the ones you used to face your problems and fears, and to hide your pain.

But your dull eyes gave you away, encouraging the elderly lady to add something closer to an explanation. "Young (y/n), it appears that experiencing strong emotions limits the effectiveness of your quirk."

A wave of pins and needles prickled your skin, with the bitter taste lingering at the pit of your stomach. What did she mean by strong feelings? Hate, sadness? Fear?

Knowing that you had cried your eyes out yesterday, you pictured Todoroki in your mind, and his warmth as he held you tightly against his chest before you passed out in his arms.

The emotional rollercoaster that yesterday had been?

---

You stole a sidelong glance at the empty seat next to you. Bakugo wasn't here even though you were the last one to make it to the classroom. Not that you missed him kicking your desk's leg to elicit a reaction from you. Turning around, you scanned the crowded room, only to notice that none of your classmates seemed to mind Bakugo's and Midoriya's absence.

You jolted in your place as you met Todoroki's unfocused eyes, as he rested his chin on his hands, deep in thought. His face lit up as he had been caught like a rabbit in the headlights.