40 | Distance

You fidgeted with your fingers as you leaned against the wall outside the principal's office. Though it wasn't your first time here, you couldn't help but think about the worst. You hadn't even bothered to apply concealer to cover the dark circles under your eyes. You knew that that wouldn't be nearly enough to hide the fact that you were a tired, anxious mess right now.

That didn't stop you from letting out an ironic chuckle at the sight of a student who had stood out to you at the Sports Festival. Shinso Hitoshi, from class 1-C, his unruly indigo locks standing on end.

"You're here again." His voice was low, laced with his usual stoicism. Truth be told, it didn't surprise him in the least, given that you always seemed to find your way into trouble.

"At least I'm winning the 'who has the biggest eye bags competition'," you blurted out, soon cursing at your sleep-deprived brain. Todoroki was getting questioned by Nezu, accompanied by Mr Aizawa and, to make things even more awkward, his all-time idol, All Might.

"Why are you here again?" Shinso said.

You brought your fingers to your mouth and pretended as if you were zipping it up. A big reason why you tossed and turned last night was that you wanted to contain the rumours from spreading. Hell would break loose if Endeavor found out about you two, especially in this way.

After you kept silent, Shinso shrugged his shoulders, losing interest. If you weren't going to answer his question, he doubted that he'd be able to get any information out of you.

"How about you?" You flinched, as you dreaded that he would find a way to use his quirk on you. But, if you remembered correctly, it only worked if you answered his questions, not the other way around.

"They deserved what they got." Shinso looked down at your scratched arms, wondering if you had got into some sort of fight, too. Nevertheless, he soon noticed that they weren't just any type of scratches. "You might want to cover those up before you go in. If you want to keep that cat in the dorms, that is."

Crap. How does Shinso know that? I swear he's smarter than half our class. I still don't get why he didn't make it to the hero course.

As the door to the principal's office opened, you swiftly rolled down your sleeves, heeding Shinso's advice. The scent of freshly made tea surrounded you, making your stomach churn as you heard Aizawa's dreary voice, letting you into the room. Despite the oppressive atmosphere, you stood up straight. You ignored the floor-length windows, focusing on Todoroki's stiff back. You hadn't even got the chance to talk to Todoroki since he got caught exiting your room last night. You didn't know what he had told your teachers, nor how your sides of the story would match up.

"Hello, young (y/n). Please, take a seat." Unlike most times you had been to this office, you weren't offered a cup of tea, but a stare down instead. Nezu's calculating eyes traced from All Might to Mr. Aizawa sat on the leather sofa, until they landed on you and Todoroki. "Both of you broke one of the key rules to life at the dorms. We cannot let this slip, even if as Todoroki explained to us earlier, 'nothing happened'."

Instinctively, you pushed your sleeves down, understanding that they didn't know about the kitten yet. Though that relieved you slightly, you still gave Todoroki a sideways glance to check on him. He barely kept his cool and gritted his teeth, knowing all too well what Nezu would utter next.

Nezu rested his fluffy arms on his desk. "We appreciate that this is your first offense for both of you. You will not be getting expelled, but suspended until the weekend. Additionally, it is in U.A.'s policy that we should inform your parents, and we will be enforcing social distancing between the two of you for the time being. Any questions?"