30 | Surface

You let yourself sink into the deep end. The chlorine made your eyes itch as you glanced up at the sun rays glimmering from the surface of the swimming pool. Sitting down at the bottom of the pool, you realised that you had hit rock bottom when your father's words echoed in your ears.

"There is no need for you to worry about me, (y/n). I didn't tell you my quirk was coming back to normal because I didn't want to give you false hope.

See? I can't use it anymore.

While it is true that your uncle's got a bit of a gambling habit, he would never do anything to hurt me. He is a hero and my brother, after all."

Noticing that you had already spent a few minutes underwater, Asui decided to check on you. You had become numb ever since the police let your uncle off. They hadn't even removed Daiki's hero license, as if he wasn't the prime suspect for your father's injuries.

You felt the frog girl's long tongue wrap around your waist as she pulled you out of the water. Placing your hands at the side of the pool, you coughed a few times and blew your nose at the disgusting taste of the school's pool water. As you thanked Asui for snapping you out of your trance, she unconsciously stuck her tongue out.

"Alright! Tsu can hold her breath for the longest, and (y/n) comes second!" Mina announced as she skipped towards the two of you.

The rest of the girls cheered, drawing the attention of the other side of the pool. And boys eyed you in curiosity while they stretched.

Todoroki didn't miss any of this as he tilted his head to the side while he looked at you with care.

Seeing him lifted your mood, as it reminded you that you had agreed to go out for some ice cream after this training session. Trying to shake off any bad feelings, you propped yourself up and joined the circle of girls.

"Yeah, we could get a ball and play catch!" Ochaco beamed.

Asui scratched her chin. "But I'm not sure whether we're allowed to borrow school equipment, given that we are unsupervised. Ribbit."

"I would be delighted to make one for us!" Yaoyorozu soon materialised a volleyball ball out of her chest. She threw the ball up in the air, which Mina caught and then passed to you.

You caught it with one hand, with a small smile on your face as you appreciated this wholesome moment distracting you from your worries. "Woah, this is so cool," you said before hitting the ball up into the summer sky and diving into the water.

Later on, you helped Yaoyorozu record when the boys made it to the side of the swimming pool for their freestyle competition.

Todoroki positioned himself at the start blocks, his toned muscles straining as he pulled back to gain some momentum.

You held back the urge to shout some words of encouragement to him to avoid making your flourishing relationship with him too obvious. You settled for a discreet thumbs-up, which still fueled Todoroki with motivation as he acknowledged that you would be watching him.

Your mouth parted slightly when you saw Todoroki use his ice to glide across the swimming pool, although you found it funny that he didn't even try to swim. Todoroki placed his hands on his knees once he made it to the edge, somewhat tired but proud of his timing. When you approached him to congratulate him, he eyed you from head to toe, taking in your new (f/c) swimming costume.

"(y/n), I think..." He stopped himself from complimenting you, as the rest of the class gathered around you to wait for the next set of swimmers.

"Later?" you mouthed, to which he replied with a nod of mutual understanding. Both of you would have to wait until your classmates left to go off together.