8 | Coffee

When you awoke, dawn light was seeping through the window. You had forgotten to shut the blinds last night. The guest bedroom was so lavish that it still felt foreign to you. With a spring in your step, you walked to the bathroom, splashing some cold water on your face and snatching the towel from its hanger.

After changing into your new school uniform, you went to the kitchen, where you saw Shoto's older sister. She was buzzing about as she prepared some coffee. You suspected that the papers sprawled on the table had something to do with her job as a primary school teacher.

"Morning, (y/n). I went to the shops and bought (your favourite food). That's what you usually have for breakfast, isn't it?"

"Really? Thanks, Fuyumi. You didn't have to." You grinned at her, returning the soft smile she held.

"Awh, quit making that sweet expression or else I'll have to squeeze your cheeks."

You let out a laugh.

But she was serious. As Fuyumi approached you, her elbow knocked over her coffee mug. The dark liquid trickled towards her stack of papers. You managed to lift them out of the way, only allowing the edge to stain. Fuyumi laughed at the situation.

"U.A. better keep their eyes peeled for your quick reflexes! If only I weren't so clumsy..."

As you sat on the traditional tatami mat, Shoto's sleepy face caught you by surprise. You thought you'd be up earlier than him, but he had beat you to come down for breakfast.

The last thing he wanted was to start a conversation with you. If not awkward, it would make him see you as more than another tool his father wished Todoroki to use so that he could forge his path as a renonwed hero in the future. Todoroki soon stood up from the table though, having quickly finished his steamed rice.

You spooned the last of your food into your mouth, wanting to ask him if he could wait for you so that you could walk to the train station to get to school together. Given that were still relatively new to the hectic city life, you knew that you'd probably get lost on the way there.

Forcing yourself to stay quiet, you bit down on your lower lip. But your dread of being late on your first day at U.A. overcame your unwillingness to spark a conversation with Todoroki.

"Shoto?"

"What?" he snapped back.

Your courage withered as you acknowledged his aloof gaze. Maybe, I'll just leave it. I'll try my best not to be late on my own. I doubt Shoto wants people at U.A. knowing that someone like me lives with him anyway.

"Never mind," you said.

---

As soon as you changed into your school shoes and left the other pair in your new locker, you dashed up the flight of stairs, taking two steps at a time.

You then continued running through the school corridors, though you suspected it was against school rules, only stopping right on your tracks when you read the sign above your head: 1-A.

How many great heroes had walked through those doors? How brilliant was it that you could now call this your classroom?

Taking a deep breath, you realised how thrilled you were to meet your new classmates.

"Um, I-I'm sorry, but can I squeeze past? I think I'm a tad late," a taut voice startled you, making you jolt in your place.

On your left, a boy ran a hand through his fluffy dark-green hair. There was a tint of pink on his freckled face.