4 | Ashes

It was as if the ashes from your first meeting weren't even cold when you spotted Todoroki again, a couple of weeks later. As your friend held on to your arm, dragging you across the street to some clothes shop, you recognised his distinctive hair in the crowd. "Hang on a minute, Chi. I think I just saw someone I know."

"Yeah, right. It's not like you know anyone here in Musutafu city." Chiharu paused and narrowed her coral eyes in suspicion.

"Well, I sort of do?" But I only met him once.

"You're not getting out of this one. You promised that you'd come to karaoke with me, (y/n), remember?"

You still hadn't quite processed what happened that day you visited the Todoroki household as you had pushed those uncomfortable thoughts to the back of your mind. So, while debating whether you should go and say hi to Todoroki or not, you absentmindedly nodded.

"And it's Christmas Eve, so we can't have you wearing those clothes."

With your attention set on Todoroki as he grew further and further away in the crowd, you rubbed your arm and said, "Alright."

Before you could register what you had just let yourself in for, Chiharu began jumping up and down. "Yes, success! I finally get to dress you up! I never thought you'd let me! You don't know how much this means to me and I--"

"Wait, Chi, I can't afford anything too expensive, alright?"

"It's on me today - my Christmas present to you. I'll show you what a fashion expert I've become, and I'll even help you design your hero costume one day, you know?" Chiharu winked at you as a cherry blossom flower grew by her ear for effect.

But she soon frowned as she tried to take out the flower that got tangled in her strawberry blonde hair.

You laughed at your friend's actions, reminding you of the good times you spent at school before she transferred to a prestigious private middle school in the city. You missed her, even more so now that you were currently being homeschooled. "Yeah, you are the best in this kind of thing, Chi. Thanks for taking me out today."

You searched for Todoroki, scanning the crowd of people doing their own Christmas shopping. Yet he was nowhere to be found. You shrugged your shoulders and proceeded to follow your friend into a fancy pastel shop.

As soon as you came out of the clothes shop, a group of three teenagers joined you. "Hiya, my name's Mio Nekoma. I hear you're Chiharu's old friend?" A girl with sandstone hair and whiskers held out her hand.

You shook her hand and introduced yourself, later catching up to join Chiharu and the rest of the group. The pastel (f/c) dress suited your figure nicely, and so did the coat that went with it. Yet you didn't feel like yourself, and you could tell that Chiharu had changed her ways. She had adapted to fit in with the city girls, growing away from the rash child whom you used to fistfight with on a daily basis. Even when you tried chatting to them at the karaoke place, the feeling that you'd become an outsider dawned upon you.

You fidgeted with the hems of your new skirt, your surroundings blending into a blur of chit chat until you decided you had had enough.

As you shuffled to the left from your seat, you checked that you had all of your belongings with you. Before your childhood friend could ask you to stay, you declared in a hushed voice, "Chi, I'm just gonna go out for some fresh air 'cause the room's a bit stuffy. I'll be back, though."

"Yeah, okay. Just make sure to come back soon as! The boys will be arriving any minute."

After running around the fields near the agency until you passed out and working on close combat with your uncle, you felt like you deserved this day off. However, so far, hanging out with your friend had drained more energy from you than you had expected.