26 | Payback

"I'm so hungry! I'm gonna get some lunch-y lunch," Ochaco said, singing the end of her sentence. She checked her purse, only to realise that she didn't have any money.

Everyone had left for the canteen, except you and Ochaco. Just like this morning, your stomach was killing you. You sat in your school seat near the front, almost sure that you had somehow caught food poisoning. Having a bite of those snacks you found in your dorm room hadn't been the best idea. Though stale, they were still your favourite.

You lifted your head and turned around, seeing Ochaco sprawled on her desk on the last row. You swore that you heard her stomach rumble like a storm.

"Hey, Ochaco. Are you alright?"

"Mhmm, I'm good."

Another loud noise erupted from her gut. You brought your stuff to sit in the seat next to hers. I'd like to talk to Ochaco to find out why she's been avoiding me... I'm not sure I can handle talking to her about it...

But I should probably try to have some food before this afternoon's hero training. You opened the yellow plastic Tupperware container and eyed the plain rice inside it.

While you wrinkled your nose due to sudden nausea, you noticed Ochaco turn her head towards you, drooling.

"You want some?" you asked. "I'm not feeling too well."

Ochaco's eyes brightened. "Yeah, please! I mean, don't mind if I do."

You handed the plain rice and your chopsticks over to her. As she ate, you reached out for your bag, where you were sure you had some crackers. You placed them on her table.

"Hang on, (y/n)." Ochaco stopped shoving food into her mouth, and tilted her head to the side. She wiped the corner of her mouth as a twinge of guilt settled in her chest. "Are you sure you're not hungry?"

"Yeah, not today. Go for it."

"Right, thank you. I forgot to put money in my purse, so I appreciate it."

You gave Ochaco a weak smile. Even though this was the closest to having a conversation you had been in a while, you could sense the strained kindness in her voice. She was still pretending nothing had happened between you two.

Would would Todoroki do in a situation like this? You took a deep breath in, finding strength in recognising that Todoroki would have probably suggested that you just talked things through with Ochaco and it would all be fine had you talked to him about this.

"Hey, Ochaco." You paused as you watched her tense up. "So... I noticed that you've been avoiding me ever since we came back from our internships."

"Oh, yeah."

"I don't understand what happened. And I was wondering if I did something to upset you?" you delivered, dreading her response.

Ochaco scratched her cheek. "Yeah, I... You know, it doesn't really matter."

"It does to me. I genuinely miss hanging out with you like we used to."

Your words still sit heavy in the air as Ochaco choked on a bite of food. She couldn't help but think that after all this time as your 'friend' you could take her by surprise. In all honesty, she wanted you to apologise, but hadn't registered how her actions had affected you until now.

You didn't talk about your feelings very often, so the fact that you were putting an effort to restore your friendship with her moved her deeply.

So, before she knew it, Ochaco found herself explaining, "Well, the thing is I couldn't believe that you'd lie to me. You know, hiding that you lived with Todoroki from me when I asked you."