6 | Text

You wouldn't have enough time to think about Todoroki's icy words until after you confirmed that your father was well. You hurried to the hospital's reception.

"Look, this is not a time for visiting," the admin lady said as she pointed at the clock on the wall behind her. It was 10:23 pm. "Furthermore, I am not allowed to disclose a patient's confidential information, either."

"Please, I received a call from you. The doctor said it was urgent." You showed her your phone.

The lady adjusted the rim of her thick glasses. "Oh, you are (y/n) (l/n). I am sorry, I did not recognize you. Take as long as you need."

"Thank you, thank you so much."

A wave of relief washed over you as you saw your father, wide awake for the first time in an entire month. He told you about how in the last few days he'd become slightly aware of his surroundings. He couldn't quite remember the physiotherapists keeping his muscle tone, and the doctors checking his vital signs. But he said he could hear snippets of you and your uncle's conversations; all in a hazy blend of a dream.

You took a seat on the chair by his bed. "Dad, I'm so happy you're okay! I was scared you wouldn't come back."

"I can't remember much, but I'm sorry, (y/n)." It unsettled him that he had to be the bearer of bad news, knowing that this would be one of the happiest moments for you. He would explain things further once the police arrived to take his testimony, for he felt weak.

You gripped your pastel dress. "No, it's not your fault."

"(y/n), chin up. Don't worry too much, alright?" he gave you a strained smile under his breathing tube.

You looked up and nodded, trying to put on a smile yourself. A smile that would let him know that you'd be there to help him, as he had always been there for you. That was the best way you had to face any problems and fears, and to hide your pain.

"I never get around to telling you that I'm planning on becoming a hero," you said.

"You did not have to tell me, (y/n). I knew. With all honesty, I was hoping you would change your mind."

He appreciated that you had an idealistic side to you. After fighting off bullies in the playground, you'd come back home with your knees and elbows all bruised, as well as a myriad of flowers dotted around your hair. Your friend Chiharu would always make them for you after you defended her from the other children. You had a sense of duty to protect her, who was always hiding behind your back. You couldn't just leave her alone.

Though feisty, you were a good kid. Big cheeks and a cheeky smile appropriate for a five-year-old, you showed your dad your quirk the day you discovered it. It threw him for a loop to see that you would be more suited for hero work than he ever was. Though remarkably similar, your quirk only worked on living beings, while his on inanimate objects.

Your dad had encouraged you to focus on school, so one day you could be brilliant scientist, or even take on a job repairing things like him. Anything, but a hero. "Really?" you said.

"U.A.?"

You pushed your chair closer to the hospital bed. "Yeah. The entrance exam is in March."

"You will do your best. That's all that counts. I believe in you..." He reached out to you, inviting you to hold his calloused hand.

You squeezed his hand. "...if I believe in myself."

He gave you a reassuring nod as he blinked slowly, making you feel at home again. Two police officers in their marine blue uniforms interrupted this precious moment, as they walked into the hospital room.

Another member of the police, one with a rather austere Beagle face, approached your father. "I'm the Chief of the Police Force, Kenji Tsuragamae. We've got a few questions to ask, Mr (l/n)."

"Thank you, Mr Tsugara-- pardon, Tsuragamae. My brain is still foggy. While I can't remember everything that happened, I will do my best to answer all I know."

"That is everything we can hope. Woof. Now, if you don't mind, your daughter may be excused during the questioning. There's been some developments in your case, Mr (l/n)."

You bit your lip, aching to join their private conversation. However, you exited your father's room, escorted by one of the police officers.

A middle-aged nurse walked past with clipboard in hand. Her steps obscured the faint noise that you tried to catch as you pressed your ear against the wall.

You sat down on the cold floor, resting your back against the wall. The constant beeping noises faded into the background, as though they were a symphony you'd become accustomed to by spending so many hours at the hospital.

Now, for some reason, thinking about how Todoroki had told you to stay away from him stung like hell.

You knew it shouldn't have hurt this bad, but that didn't take away the fact it did. You barely knew him, so his opinion shouldn't have affected you this much.

But after facing an afternoon of being pushed away by others, you had found the slightests of comforts in that Todoroki didn't relentlessly judge you. Or, perhaps, he knew not to share those thoughts out loud.

Yet, it was clear that he didn't want you around.

You brought your knees closer to your chest to reassure yourself. Though you'd put him through an awkward situation with his classmates, at the time he didn't seem to care that much.

As you shut your eyes, you told yourself to stop overthinking. Everything was going to be fine from now on, especially because your dad was back.

You raised your eyebrows as you caught sight of Endeavor. He sauntered down the corridor towards you, in his blue suit, presumably having just been called off work. "Good evening, (y/n)," his voice boomed. "Is this your father's room?"

"Yeah, the police are in there, too." You stood up to greet him. Though you couldn't forgive him for all the damage he had caused, old habits die hard.

As he opened the door without knocking, the police team and your father greeted him. Endeavor glanced back at you before shutting the door. Little did you know about the plan behind his cunning turquoise eyes. Your unsuspecting father would not inform you about it until after the U.A. entrance exam.

A bitter taste lingered in your mouth, but you could not begin to imagine what was in store for you if you managed to secure a place at U.A. Maybe, Todoroki disliked me from the moment we met, or he's still mad at me because I punched him?

Ruminating whether that had been enough to make him hate you, you looked down at your feet. I just don't know him well enough to judge.

You shook your head sideways, dismissing those thoughts. The most crucial thing for you was that you could fix this shattered world with your hard-work. No matter what, you'd stay true to yourself, right?

Your phone let out a notification sound. Chiharu had sent you a message. Almost Merry Christmas to you, too, you typed a quick reply.

🌸Chi🌸

🌸Thank you, (y/n).
We were literally so worried about you :(

I'm sorry I forgot to text you.
My dad just woke up and I got distracted in the rush to get to hospital.

🌸No problem.
It's great that your dad is ok.
Btw I left you a set of keys under the flower pot.

Thanks, you really are the best.

🌸I know!
Also, Todoroki asked me for your phone number.
Is it ok if I give it to him?