49 | Run

A/N

It's been ages since I have written anything, but here we go! Hope you enjoy this chapter and the rest to come. I hope to give this fic another chance and finish it over the summer :)) All your votes and comments really motivate me, so thank you so much for being there my lovelies <3

---

You tied your shoelaces and ran into the U.A. fields as fast as you could. Todoroki stood there, with his arms crossed, as if he'd been waiting for you for a long time. Because he had. Though you had argued with your parents time and again about it, they still didn't want you to see Todoroki. Not because they thought ill of him, but because your quirk became so unstable when you experienced strong emotions that they feared for your future.

Regardless, you decided to ignore their advice and find a solution with Todoroki. So, you took another brave step forward and adjusted your sports shirt at your shoulder. "Ready to see me win against you, Sho?"

Todoroki, rather stoic, shook his head sideways. "You know I wouldn't allow it."

A glimpse of the tiniest of smiles on his lips gave you the energy to break out on a sprint. Ten laps around the U.A. fields, every morning before school. You would be lying if you didn't say it broke your soul every time Todoroki won, but then again, you weren't one to give up so easily.

Not long into the race, you could feel your lungs burning up, and you itched to obtain some life energy from the plants around the field or even catch up to Todoroki so that you could slow him down. Yet, you just kept running, reminding yourself that the only way to ensure that you didn't break down for good, was not only to train your body but also to regain control of your emotions. You would never allow them to affect you as much as they had ruled over you in the past.

There was still no answer to what you would do to fix your quirk. And you dreaded to even think about choosing between a relationship with Todoroki and becoming a hero. Both were too important to you, but try as you might ignore it, you needed to make a decision. Staying with both for the past few weeks had only put a strain on your body and added yet another worry to your already troubled mind.

You kept running, feeling the wind against your face, sweat trickling down your back. With one last push, you sprinted towards Todoroki, only for a loud ringing noise to stop you on your tracks.

I can't let him see me like this.

Your vision blurred, and your knees buckled. You closed your eyes, feeling Todoroki's presence approach you.

"(y/n)?" Todoroki's voice was laced with concern.

I can't put him through this so often. I don't know if I can keep trying this hard for so long. I wish I could just lie in bed for a bit and just not do anything. Not have to worry about anything else.

You looked up to Todoroki, who was extending his hand to help you up. Nevertheless, his face seemed absent to you. As if he also was caught up in his own thoughts. He would have never foreseen that when he started caring more about others, especially you, he would start hurting at the smallest of things. And in all the strength he saw in you, he still felt a pang deep down in his chest. Was he asking too much of you again?

As you took a sharp breath, you got on your feet without Todoroki's help, not without stumbling and scratching your hands with the gravel path. Both of you exchange a knowing glance.

Todoroki cleared his throat. "Do you want to talk about--?"

Before Todoroki could finish his sentence, you dashed away from him. Your muscles were on fire from the pain, but you carried on and brought your hands to your mouth to shout in the distance. "The last one to the dorms loses!"