eight

He was him

He was him.

He was the one whom she had nothing to do with, wanted nothing to do with, and had no feelings towards.

He was just another boy at the school, to whom she paid no attention.

She was just another girl in the year below, to whom he paid no attention.

That all changed on the night of Sangyeon's nineteenth birthday. He wasn't having a party, a gathering was more the word for the event.

Their parents had flown to China that morning, insisting they wouldn't leave until they had wished their son a happy birthday. Truthfully, Nari was glad they would be out the house for two months.

"You better not be loud," she warns Sangyeon from the doorway. "Noise is bad enough, but it's worse when it's coming from a group of boys."

"Then you better stay in your room," Sangyeon mocks her voice, to which she shakes her head. "Exactly, let's not make promises we can't keep."

"Why didn't you just go to China with them?" She grumbles, as the boy scoffs.

"Because you're still a young pup, and irresponsible," he ruffles her hair to make a mess, walking by her to run down the stairs.

"I'm barely younger than you," she shouts, heading into her room.

The girl didn't mind staying in her room for the night, but she knew she wouldn't stay there. She'd be too curious about the events unfolding downstairs, even though it would just be some boys hanging out, doing boy stuff.

She couldn't help but wonder if Kevin would be there, she assumed he would, but that just depended on how close Sangyeon was to him.

However, with her fingers crossed, she hoped to see him again.

"My brothers having some sort of party," Nari says over the phone. "So I'm locked in my room for the night."

"Don't be so dramatic," Chanhee laughs from the other side of the call. "We could always meet, if you're really that bored?"

"I would, but no trains run at this time," she pours, as though he could see her. "But we'll meet soon?"

"Sure," he chuckles. "It's been too long."

"It has," she smiles, hearing a door open and close from the hallway. "I better go, someone's running loose upstairs and I need to go scold them."

"I believe you will," Chanhee laughs. "Bye, Nari."

The girl hangs up, hearing the pitter patter of footsteps outside her room door, followed by a quick knock.

"You've got the wrong room," she shouts, as the banging stops. "What are you looking for?"

"The bathroom, sorry," a soft voice in which she hadn't heard before spoke. "Where is it?"

"The door to the left of this one," she calls back, as the voice thanks her quickly before she heard the foot steps walking away.