fifty two

The first day back at school meant the first day of facing Juyeon, and Nari wasn't quite sure if she was prepared for it

Nothing in her life could prepare her for the moment one of her best friends fell in love with her, particularly one she once had feelings for.

Her knees trembled as she approached the school gates, awaiting the text from Eric which never seemed to come.

"Where are you?" She asked as she called him, hearing him sniffle through the phone.

"I have the flu," Eric coughed, turning over in his bed. "I'll be off for a few days."

"Are you kidding?" Nari groaned, looking around before she whispered into the phone. "What am I supposed to do about Juyeon?"

The boy chuckled through the other end, shaking his head. "You're his friend, aren't you?"

"I am," she nodded. "But-"

"Then be his friend," he said casually, looking at the time on his phone. "That's all you can do, remember he's the one hurting more."

The girl wanted to argue her case, plead that she was hurting too, but she knew the pain wasn't as immense as his, so she guessed her friend was right for once. "I will."

"Get to class," the boy chuckled. "Enjoy school."

"Thanks," she said sarcastically as the boy hung up, leaving her to stand awkwardly by the school gates.

Should she text him? Wouldn't that make things all the more awkward?

The girl fidgeted with her hands, her heartbeat quickening as she saw the tall boys head stick out from amongst the crowd of people who swarmed past the school gates.

When his eyes clocked hers, his heart did the same thing, to the point where it almost pained him to look at her. But he couldn't be this way, they were friends above everything else.

"Hi," Nari waved awkwardly as the boy separated himself from the people. A wave of relief washed over her when she saw him smile at her, to which she returned.

"Hey," he nodded, his lips still rugged slightly upwards. No matter what they had been through, it was instinctive for him to smile upon seeing that face. "Did Eric tell you?"

"He did," she nodded, looking towards the ground. "He sounds pretty unwell."

Juyeon nodded, looking at the girl who glanced up awkwardly, before nodding towards the hall as though to start walking.

"I can walk you to your class," Nari suggested, although she wasn't quite sure where the offer came from. "If you want."

"I'm down this way," he motioned with his hand, as the girl nodded slowly.

"I'm down that way," she pointed in the opposite direction, making the boy chuckle. "I'll see you soon?"

"Yeah," Juyeon replied softly, watching as the girl backed away before turning completely. Regardless, he hated to see her go.