thirty four

The girl breathed heavily giving the boy a fright as he turned to see the man standing outside the car

"Shit," Nari said frantically, the boy ducking his head in shame. "Give me a second."

She prepared for the lecture as she opened the car door, for him to question her every move out of the house, but she knew an explanation is what she needed to give.

"Dad," the girl forced a smile, watching as her mother shortly approached the car, looking between the two. "What are you doing here?"

"We're heading home," the man said, almost feeling as embarrassed as she did. "And what are you doing in a car with a strange boy?"

"He isn't a strange boy," Nari shook her head, ready to point to the boy so they could see he was the boy with the angelic voice from the church choir, the very boy they'd love to see her with. "It's Jacob..."

The girl turned as she heard footsteps approaching, almost scrunching her eyes to avoid looking at her brother who looked between everyone confused. "What?"

"Surprise," she said through gritted teeth, as the boy crouched down to the window to see his friend sitting embarrassed in the drivers seat. "It's... Jacob."

The boy took that as his queue to exit the vehicle, looking shyly at her parents, almost ignoring her brother for a second.

"Hi," the boy bowed to her mother and father, watching as her mother's face lit up. "I'm sorry for any inconvenience, myself and Nari work together."

"You do?" Nari's dad looked at the girl who shrugged.

"I volunteer at a charity he works for," she nods slowly as her father smiles lightly, feeling proud of his daughter for being selfless.

"Well, thank you Jacob, for getting her home safely on this dark night," Nari's mother smiles at the boy, whilst Sangyeon stands in the midst. "We'll see you inside, Nari."

The two watched as they walked away, Sangyeon even began to start walking although he turned back at the last second.

"I can explain," Nari said, panic in her voice as her brother shook his head.

"You don't need to," he chuckled, looking at his friend. "Neither of you do. But the least either of you could've done was tell me."

The two stood silent, Nari's fears had came true whilst Jacob felt guilty for believing he would feel differently. They watched as he walked away down the path, neither of them uttering a word.

"You should go and talk to him," Jacob said softly as the girl didn't dare take her eyes off of their house. "Not to put it on you, I mean - he would maybe appreciate it more from you, and you're the one who has to live with him."

"I know," she cut the boy off as she could tell he began to panic, looking up at him. "Don't worry, I'll fix this."

"He'll be fine, you know that," he reassured her, linking his pinky with hers. "What was it you said again about how your parents would love me? I'm not sure if they do now."