forty two

The days still flew by, just as they always did

They tried their best to see each other as much as they could, even for silly little things. The boy would sneak out to pick her up from work, they would meet randomly in the night to spend their last moments together.

But the last day came soon enough, the one they both dreaded dearly.

The girl woke up with a groan, wishing so desperately that this wasn't the day. However, it was, and they would just have to make the most of it.

Except, they couldn't wholly, for Jacob had to work one final shift.

And as much as Nari wanted to tag along, she wasn't sure if she wanted to spend their last day together with other people. So, she would be there for him finishing his shift.

"I won't be home until late tonight," Nari said as she stood in the door frame of her brothers room.

"I know," Sangyeon nodded with a smile. "How are you feeling?"

"I don't know," she shrugged, because she just didn't know how to put it into words. He was leaving, but he was still here. She wouldn't know how she felt until she knew he was out of reach. "I'll just have to take it as it comes."

"I'll say a proper goodbye to him later when he drops you home," the boy nods, looking sad. "It won't be long until you can see him again, Nari."

"I know," she says almost abruptly, not sure if she can handle the sad talk right now. "Thank you, Sangyeon."

"Are you leaving just now?" He said, looking at the clock on his computer.

The girl nodded, buttoning up her cardigan. "I'll have to, I have lots of time though so I might walk there."

"It's ages away," he said, his mouth agape. "I'll happily drive you there if you want."

"It's okay," she shook her head, pursing her lips as she put on a smile. "I've got some time to kill and a head to clear, it's best if I walk."

"If you insist," Sangyeon smiled, standing up to hug his sister. "Hang in there."

Nari nodded, feeling herself become emotional as she heard his words with her head in his shoulder. Maybe it was a reflex, her brother was always there to comfort her growing up, it was only normal she felt emotional.

The girl gave him a final smile before jogging down the stairs, walking straight past her mother but turned to her father.

"Where are you going?" Her mother asked sharply, as Nari turned to look at her instead.

"To do some canoodling in a car," she replied sarcastically, her mother's mouth hanging agape. "I won't be home until later, bye."

She waved to her dad, who stood there stifling a laugh. A father shouldn't laugh at such a comment from his daughter, but he knew Nari would get her revenge on her mother somehow, and that wit was what he had raised her with.