fifty four

Exam season was also sleepless season

Exam season was also sleepless season. Nari would stay up until all hours trying her best to cram in every last bit of knowledge her brain could capacitate.

Although she didn't necessarily need it, she knew her grades last year could have been better had she avoided trouble - which was essentially men.

Despite exam season terrifying the girl enough, nothing was scaring her more than leaving school for good.

"So, did you get in or not?" Eric asked, tapping his fingers on the table in anticipation.

"I'm still waiting," Nari sighed, looking at her lunch. "What about you guys?"

"I haven't even checked my applications," Eric shrugged casually as the other two laughed, wishing they could be as laid back as him. "It won't be the end of the world if I don't get in."

"I got in to two universities so far," Juyeon nodded with a pursed smile, as Nari grinned at him.

"Congrats," she said, chuffed of the boy. "Either of them the one that you wanted?"

The boy thought for a moment, both of them were far away, but they were both options that he had thoroughly considered, it just meant being away from his best friends. "Both, actually. I'll decide over the summer."

"Me too, I have another few interviews though," Nari sighed at the thought as the boys gawked.

"A few more?" Eric asked, looking at Juyeon in disbelief.

"Four more," she said casually and Eric's mouth closed suddenly.

"You're a nerd, a smart guy, sometimes I forget," he said shrugging, as the girl slapped his arm. "And you'll get into every university you apply to, it's a given."

"Nothing is a 'given'," she rolled her eyes at him. "I'll continue to pretend I haven't gotten into any of them and do well this year."

"Nerd," Eric grumbled under his breath, earning a shove from Juyeon, mockingly defensive, but nonetheless - defensive.

"I'm staying here for two periods," Nari said as the bell finished ringing. "So I can meet you guys to walk home later?"

"Sure," Juyeon smiled as he and Eric stood up, waving the girl goodbye as she dug her head into the notepad and books.

By the time over an hour passed, the lunch table seats simply weren't cutting it for the girl. The pain ached in her back as she found herself hunched over, sitting up properly every now and again to ease the strain.

But the aching in her spine was only replaced by a pain in her ears, finding Haknyeon sat beside her bickering.

"Sometimes, I think you're more shallow than me," he shrugged, thinking the girl was even listening to him in the first place.