forty six

"You can't stay in bed all day," Sangyeon groaned at the girl as he pulled her arm

"You can't stay in bed all day," Sangyeon groaned at the girl as he pulled her arm. "Especially not on your birthday."

Nari grumbled, pulling the covers back over her head as her brother sighed. "Why not?"

"Get up," he said sternly, his sister peaking through the covers. "Your gifts are downstairs."

"I told you I didn't want anything," she shook her head, before the boy raised an eyebrow at her and left the room, letting her get out of bed and ready to go down to see.

She looked over at her calendar, crossing off the date. The first of October brought back memories from all her previous birthdays, but she prayed this one would be different.

However, how could it be different when she had no plans nor any intentions to leave her house for the day?

Nonetheless, she put on a smile and jogged down the stairs, seeing gifts wrapped and her family awaiting her entrance, standing up and hugging her.

Nari usually disliked a fuss being made of her, but saying goodbye to her teenage years wasn't necessarily a bad thing, especially not what she had been through recently.

"I'll have your first legal drink with you tonight," Sangyeon joked as he nudged the girl.

Her parents looked over, her dad chuckling but her mother sitting with her mouth agape. "There's been illegal drinks?"

Nari looks at her brother who stifles his laughter, letting it out however when she smacks his arm.

"I can't scold you, since you're old enough now," her mother shrugs surprisingly, as the family laugh together.

Her birthday was already off to a better start than her previous ones, and that was a relief.

"Where are they?" Nari motions to the living room as her brother snacks on a packet of crisps, shrugging.

"They're at their friends house," Sangyeon nodded, as the girl looked confused. "I'm sure they share a birthday with you, actually."

"They couldn't even stay to have a meal?" She asks, feeling slightly hurt.

"We can have one," he reasons, looking at his sisters gloom face. "I'll go and buy some alcohol and we can chill together."

Nari shakes her head with a smile, although her brother had been so considerate. "Don't you have lots of work to do? And besides, it's the weekend, do you not have anything better to do?"

"Than hang with my sister? Never," he rolls his eyes sarcastically as the girl chuckles. "I won't be long, why don't you get dressed so we can pretend we're actually out?"

"That's just sad," the girl shakes her head as the boy shrugs. "But if you insist, I feel disgusting in these pyjamas."

Sangyeon smiled, grabbing his wallet and running out of the door to leave the girl to get ready.