09

They say life comes after death but I don't think that's the case. When someone dies that's it. The person you once loved is gone for good. The moments you've spent together now memories of a life that was once lived. Who would've thought that the boy who used to run down the street yelling hello to everyone would be murdered in his best friend's backyard?

My alarm started blaring again drawing me out of my thoughts. I had to get up soon to get ready but I had no energy left in my body. I knew by getting ready I was accepting his fate and I didn't want to do that. A soft knock at my door caused me to let out a loud groan and cover my face because now I really had to get out of bed.

"Come in." my morning voice rasps out.

I move my hands from my face and see Niall entering and closing the door behind him. He lets out a sigh before walking over to me and sitting on the edge of my bed.

"Hope you have to get up, we're leaving in 20 minutes." This just caused me to groan louder and pull my covers over my face, I didn't want to go so maybe if I hid I wouldn't be forced out of the comforting cocoon I've made for myself.

"Hopeee." Niall groaned, pulling the covers away from me causing goosebumps to form all over my skin due to the cold air.

"Nooo give it back Niall." I pouted, pushing my bottom lip out. Niall grabbed my wrists that were reaching out for the covers and pulled me up.

"Nope, you're going to stop acting like a child and get up and get dressed. I don't care if I have to do it myself." I knew Niall better than anyone else and I knew he would never be caught dead with me half-naked. I cocked my head to the side and stared at him dead in the eyes.

"You would never be caught dead in a room with me half-naked so I don't believe you. Have fun getting me dressed." I smirked as he just stared at me, his jaw clenching at my words. I tried to fall back down but Niall kept his hold on my wrists.

"Niallll, let me goooo." I pleaded. Niall stood up pulling me along with him, in one swift motion he picked me up and threw me over his shoulder. I shrieked at the sudden motion slamming my fists against his back as I dangled off his shoulder.

"Niall put me down right now!" I flailed my arms and kicked my legs as he moved me towards the bathroom despite my constant protest.

"Now here's what you are going to do Hope. You're going to get dressed and stop acting like a five-year-old. This is hard on everyone, not just you." He places me down on the ground and I let out a huff and adjust my tank top so I'm not flashing him as he puts my dress on the sink.

"I'll be back in five minutes and if you aren't dressed I will drag you out in just your tank top and shorts, got it?" I nod and groan knowing I've lost this fight and I can see the smirk creeping onto his face.

He walks out of the bathroom giving me one last look before closing the door. I get dressed in a short black dress that I haven't worn since Caroline's sweet 16. The dress comes down to my mid-thighs and it isn't a very appropriate dress for a funeral but it's what I had to work with. I brush the knots out of my hair and I start doing my makeup. Niall opens the door and I jump a bit at the surprise, getting mascara on my nose.

"Jesus Niall I could've been naked! Knock next time bro." Niall just rolls his eyes.

"Oh, what a shame it would've been if you were naked." He gives me his infamous smirk as my jaw drops and I smack his arm.

"Heyy, that wasn't very nice." He pouts, rubbing his arm.

"You're lucky it was just your arm Ni. Now if you'll excuse yourself I need to finish getting ready." I start pushing him out of the bathroom as he pouts, closing the door in his face.

"I'll be back in 3 we gotta get going!" Niall yells from outside the door.

"Yeah, yeah, I'll be done!" I yell back. I hear Niall's footsteps leaving my room as I finish my makeup. I head out of my room and put on a pair of black heels. As I'm grabbing my phone and clutch my door opens and I see Athena poke her head in.

"Niall wants you downstairs now." Is all she says before trying to leave.

"Athena wait," She turns back and avoids eye contact with me as she waits for me to speak. I swallow my pride and spit out the words I should've said before. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have flipped out on you. I love you so much and you didn't deserve me saying all that stuff to you. I let my pride and stubbornness get in the way when I shouldn't have. I'm really sorry Athena." Athena finally looks up at me and sighs.

"I forgive you but next time you ever say anything like that to me it won't be this easy to get me back." Athena turns around and heads towards the stairs as Niall yells at me to hurry up. I head down the stairs and into my best friend's arms. No one should ever have to lose their best friend because that's when you lose your other half.

********

The funeral went by extremely fast. Some of Grayson's teachers went up to speak about how wonderful, kind, and caring he was. Grayson's parents had requested that Athena do the eulogy. Athena had spoken about how he was her other half, their hopes for the future, and how much she would miss him. At the end of her eulogy, there wasn't a dry eye in sight. By the end of the funeral, Athena was an even bigger mess than me, Niall ended up carrying her to the car because she could barely stand.

Now here we are. Standing where Grayson will be laid to rest for eternity. I have to say it's a beautiful cemetery, for all the sadness that occurs here. The grass is alive and the flowers are blooming. To our right, about 100 feet away is a big mausoleum and to the left is just more gravestones. Grayson's casket is in the middle of two empty plots where I assume his parents will be when they pass on. 

As they start lowering him to the ground Athena turns away and grabs onto Niall. Niall leans down to pick her up and she is clinging onto him like there is no tomorrow. Niall is whispering sweet nothings into her ear and rubbing her back trying to get her to calm down. I break away from Niall and he looks at me concern flooding his features. I mouth to him "I'm okay, worry about her.". He nods his head and turns his attention back to Athena as I slip away from the mourners to the mausoleum. 

I make my way to the front and sit down on the steps and I just let all my emotions out. I hear movement in front of me so I lift my head up and see a figure not too far from me but I can't make out who it is. I assume it's Niall coming to get me so I put my face back in my hands and wipe the tears out of my eyes. I look back up and see the figure is no longer standing there. I stand up and walk a few feet forward to see if I can find the figure again, my eyes scanning the area around me. My eyebrows furrow in confusion and my brain replays the last few minutes trying to contemplate if what I saw was real. 

Ready to go back to Niall and Athena, I go to turn around but am held back by an arm wrapping around my shoulders. I go to scream but a large hand covers my mouth. The arm starts to move up towards my neck and once in position starts putting pressure on the sensitive skin. I struggle trying to get loose but all I can see is my vision clouding and turning black. As my body gives up its fight for air I slump down and see the dark green eyes of the man holding me captive. 

Then it all goes black.

Hey! I hope everyone had an amazing holiday! I'm sorry for not updating in a while I've been very busy with school, and the holidays. I will try my best to update once or twice a week but my life is super hectic right now so If I miss a week I'm super sorry! Also if you had this book in your library before December 27th, 2020, I didn't realize chapter 5 was not published so you might want to go back and read that. Anyways, I hope you guys all have a happy and safe New Years and I'll see you in 2021!- J