CHAPTER 4

THE CHRISTMAS GIFT

Months passed and soon came the end of November

Months passed and soon came the end of November. The last couple of weeks went by perfectly, the group of first years even got to celebrate Sirius' birthday by eating a chocolate cake made by the Hogwarts house elves. 

As December approached, Rhea couldn't help but to feel a bit gloomy. It was the fact that her mother's birthday was nearing, and she was being hunted by many memories. Some of them were good. She recalled her 10th birthday; it was winter and the snow covered the roofs and streets of a crowded London. Her Mother, without her Father knowing, took both her kids to the top of the Towers Bridge. With a cup of hot chocolate in their hands, they saw the sun go down. It was one of Rhea's favorite memories with her mother, probably because that was the last birthday she got to spend with her. Soon, the good memories faded, and the bad ones filled her mind. The images of her mother pleading for her life, tears running down her cheeks; and then the image of her lifeless body. Pleads, tears, and the sound of something falling to the ground. Not something, someone.

She would be lying if she said everything was alright, because everything stopped being alright the moment her mother's body fell to the ground on that August night. Rhea was incredibly good at hiding her emotions, she had gotten used to that. Not because she needed to, Merlin knows her aunt will always help her with whatever her problems were. It was more something she  wanted to do. 

But as she saw the calendar, she couldn't prevent the tears from running down her cheeks. Tomorrow would be December 1st, tomorrow should have been her mother's birthday. Sure, she was at Hogwarts now, but she would've sent her a letter or something. But now she couldn't do that. She will not have the chance to be with her mother when she had her first boyfriend, or when they broke up. Her mother wouldn't be there when she graduated Hogwarts, or when she decided to get married and eventually have kids - not that she planned to, but that was something she would have liked her mother to be a part of -. It was the thought of her mother not being there anymore that caused her the most pain.

"What's going on in that head of yours?" asked Theo as he neared her. She was sitting by the Black Lake, near a tree, so he sat down next to her.

"Hm?" she mumbled as if getting out of trance.

"You're thinking of her, aren't you?" he questioned with a small smile, but the sadness in his eyes was as visible as the stars on a cloudless night. "I miss her," he added.

"Me too" she said and rested her head on his shoulders. Theo knew it was probably harder for his little sister. She was the one there when it happened. He also knew about Rhea trying to hide her emotions, but he didn't pester her about it. He understood. He understood what it was like to lose not one, but two parents in one night. Because that night, not only did their mother die, she was murdered. So, her murderer was sent to Azkaban. Their Father was sent to Azkaban. Apart from the reason that he killed his wife, he was also said to be related to a group of dark wizards with really radical beliefs. A life prison sentence in Azkaban was what he deserved. So, they didn't have a mother, nor father.