CHAPTER 18

FLOBBERWORMS AND TEA LEAVES

"I like your sweater, and your hat

"I like your sweater, and your hat... and your gloves... is everything you're wearing knitted?" questioned Josie. She, Rhea, Josh, Lily and Marlene were in the train back at Hogwarts after the break.

"Yes, it is, I need to thank aunt Bree again, these are probably the comfiest winter clothes I've ever worn, which reminds me" she added taking her bag, "she made some for you too"

"I thought your aunt didn't believe you had friends..." Josh joked and Rhea chuckled.

"She doesn't! It seems like Sirius and Theo plotted against me, so she thinks I'm all alone most of the time at Hogwarts. She also believes these sweaters are for me even though I told her they were for you" she said, taking them out and giving one to each one of her friends. "Believe when I tell you, you'll never get cold with these"

"And they are fashionable! Who would have thought knitted stuff could look good?" stated Marlene, looking at the red sweater Rhea gave her, "and it's the color of my house, isn't that just perfect?!"

"When you meet my aunt, remember to thank her, that way she'll know I actually have friends" Rhea said and all her friends laughed.

✧☽✧

A week went by and the regular classes had started, walking into the forbidden forest because their next class was Care of Magical Creatures, Rhea and Josh ran into Marlene and Josie, who were also heading to that class.

"Where's Lily? Though she was with you two?" questioned Josie to both Slytherins.

"She was, but went to talk to the Divination professor... something about how tea leaves were not a reliable way to predict the future" responded Rhea.

"Yeah, Lily would definitely say that" stated Marlene and both of them nodded. "Talking about tea leaves, I need to complete my homework about that, would you two mind taking a cup of tea for me to read your future?" she said mockingly, "I need to complete at least two charts of two different people that aren't in the class, rubbish..."

"They left us that task weeks ago, before break! Don't tell me you haven't done it yet?" asked Josie and Marlene simply shrugged.

"Can we meet at the kitchens after dinner?" Marlene asked and Josh and Rhea nodded. Arriving where Professor Kettleburn was, Rhea's eyes fell on a brown creature, it looked like shell-less shrimp.

It looked weird.

"Flobberworms..." started explaining the professor, "they eat vegetation, don't possess teeth and thus do not bite" he said taking it with one hand, "it moves very little, not an interesting creature, if I may say so myself"

"Sounds like you," said Josh to Josie.

"I was about to say the same thing about you" she responded.

"What is really interesting is that it's one of the few living creatures that are capable of being summoned with the Summoning Charm, I'm sure all of you already master it?" he questioned and the students mumbled a yes, the professor then nodded, "very well, there's not much to do with this creatures, so just feed them lettuce" he added and started showing the students were the other Flobberworms were and indicated each of them which creature they would feed.

Placing herself in front of one of them, Rhea looked at it curiously. As the professor said, they hardly moved at all. Beside her, Remus did the same, and seeing as they seemed to be petrified, he asked himself if they were dead.

"They're not dead" Rhea said moving her gaze from the creature to Remus, "they're just too lazy"

He chuckled, "they look like they are" he said and she nodded in agreement. After a moment of giving the creatures lettuce, Remus added, "how was your break?"

"It was alright, I went to the movies actually" she said looking at Remus.

"What movie did you watch?" he asked, not wanting the conversation to come to an end.

"If I tell you, you'll laugh"

"I won't, I promise"

"Well, Disney released a movie in December, it was supposed to be a movie for children, but my brother and I went anyway..." she rambled, looking at the Flobberworm that she decided to name Alex.

"Robin Hood?" asked Remus and she smiled, nodding. "I watched it too, it's a great movie"

"You did?" she asked and this time he nodded, "yes, it really is a great movie" she responded with a grin. "I didn't think anyone here had seen it, considering that we are all teenagers, and most doesn't even know what movies are," she added giving Alex some lettuce and Remus chuckled, looking at Rhea.

He looked at her for a moment, her hair was in a braid but somehow ended up being loose. It was one of the few times Remus saw her curls. He wondered why she always tried to hide them. Rhea heard his thoughts and immediately blushed. She hated her curls, she always saw how her aunt always kept hers wonderfully, but somehow Rhea's were disastrous, or at least that's what she thought.

Both of them continued talking until the class ended. Even though for Remus it was probably one of the most boring classes they've had in the year, he couldn't help but to feel downhearted that it ended and Rhea waved him goodbye.

✧☽✧

That night, Rhea, Josh and Marlene were in the kitchens, sitting on the floor in front of the fireplace. Josh finished his tea first, leaving the dregs, so Marlene started with him.

She swilled the dregs around Josh's cup three times with her left hand, just as the Divination professor told them to in class; she then turned the cup upside down on its saucer and waited for the last of the tea to drain away.

Taking the cup and comparing the leaves in it with the symbols in one of her Divination books, Unfogging the Future, Marlene finally said, "this leaf means love, and this means happiness. Oh, but this means time. So, either it means you'll be happy and in love in a long time, or you'll be happy and in love for a short period of time" she said while writing in her parchment.

"Great, I'm finding love when I'm old" he mumbled and both girls chuckled.

Taking Rhea's cup that was now empty of tea, Marlene did the same process she did with Josh's cup and compared the leaves and the symbols.

"That leaf means everything, and that one there means loss. Oh, that leaf means something important or something that saves..."

"And that means?" asked Rhea, confused.

"That means that you'll lose everything, but you'll have something to hold on to!" Marlene exclaimed cheerfully while writing on her parchment. Divination was really easy, she thought.

"That's depressing," stated Rhea.

"Nah, don't believe it! Divination is rubbish" said Marlene, "mine said something like the departure of my family, so as I said, rubbish"