Chapter 21: Care For Someone

~(Y/n)'s PoV~

        I lay back in my own bed, a smile lingering on my lips. Today was a good day... I feel like I haven't been happy like this for a while... I glance to my right, at my phone on the nightstand beside my bed. Maybe I'll get lucky this time?

        I quickly sit up and grab my phone. I have to scroll through my contacts to get to my mom's number. Not that I have many contacts to begin with, but hers is probably the least visited. I take a deep breath, in and out, to settle my thoughts before I click on the call button and holding the phone up to my ear.

        The phone rings for what feels like too long. I bite my lip, waiting to either hear her voice speak back or her answering machine.

        "You've reached-" I end the call and slam my phone down. I hug my knees to my chest, fully ready to just cave in and never come back.

        Of course she wouldn't answer! When does she ever?! I look back to my phone for a minute before I pick it up again, pressing Kay's contact instead. The phone rings for a minute before I hear her voice on the other end.

        "Yo." Kay hums.

        I take a breath. "Hey, Kay..."

        I can almost see the smile on her face when she replies, "Beanie!" A small laugh escapes me at that.

        At least Kay is around for me...

        "What do you need?" She asks. "What's going on?"

        "Well, nothing right now. Just wanted to check in, I guess..." I lay back in my bed while running my other hand through my hair. "Tried to call mom... nothing..."

        Kay sighs. "I'm sorry, (N/n)... I know it's hard..." Kay's office chair creaks, so I can tell she's leaning back into it. "She'll come around eventually..."

        I nod, even though I know she can't see it. "I really hope so... I miss her..."

        "I know, Bean... But it's okay. We're okay."

        I take another deep breath and rub my temples. "We're okay..." I repeat.

        The tone is Kay's voice change. "That's it, Beanie... we've got this! Plus, you have me and Leya around for you anytime! Or Ava! Or Andrew and Devon! We're always willing to be there!"

        "I-I don't want to be a bother-"

        "Don't even worry about stuff like that! (Y/n), you're not a burden to any of us, never call yourself one!" Her tone gets more serious as she continues to speak. "You're worth so much, Beanie... You've got so much in you and too many people behind you to feel hopeless, got it?"

        I smiled to myself. "Yeah... thanks, Kay..."

        "Any time..." She replies, calmly. "Also, we need to hangout soon. I'll hit you up when I'm not working and we can go out to eat or something..."

        God, she's so cool... At times I would forget that my sister isn't only super intelligent and a good motivator, but also an actual lieutenant at the police department. She managed to get up pretty high in her ranks despite being a female and being a big part of the LGBTQ+ community. She has some kind of endless ambition and strength. If only I were more like her...

        "Sounds great!" I say back, swallowing my negative thoughts. "Can't wait to see you guys!"

        I can almost see Kay's smile when she speaks again. "We can't wait either! Hang in there, beanie, okay? Things will get better, I promise."

        I nod. "Y-Yeah..."

        "Okay, I have to go for now but let's talk again soon! Bye, Bean! Love you!"

        The smile on my face falls. "Love you too..." I say before hanging up. I set my phone down on my nightstand. Once again, I've been left alone... and I feel the same sinking feeling of self pity all over again.

        I feel tears brim in my eyes and a soft whimper escapes me as I push myself back on my bed. My hands clutched the covers as I try to stop from shaking. It all stops when I hear a knock at the door, the sound making me jump.

        "Uh- c-come in!"

        Noi scurries in, his eyes meeting mine with no hesitation. "A-Are you okay, (Y/n)?"

        I force a nod, looking down at my lap. "Y-Yep! I'm good..."

        He steps closer to my bed, frowning. "I-I thought I heard a noise." I stiffen when I feel fingertips on my cheek, and his thumb brushes by the wetness around my eyes. "Y-You look so sad..." He almost whimpers, seemingly examining my expression.

        "Y-Yeah, I-I guess I am... j-just a little..." I admit, finally meeting his gaze.

        "Why?" Noi asks, rushing to sit down beside me.

        I sigh, shifting to lean on his shoulder. I normally wouldn't be so bold, but I needed the comfort at the moment and if anyone could give me that, it would probably be Noi, Pierce, or Ava. I took what I could get. "I've just been trying to get in touch with my mom... but it's been hard. My sister keeps telling me that it will get better but I'm skeptical, y'know...?"

        Noi blinks a few times seeming to process my words. "Your family...?" I only nod in response and we let a few minutes pass between us in silence, but it isn't awkward. On the contrary, it's rather soothing... I feel the tension in my body disappear, slowly. "I-I want to help you!" Noi urges, his voice somewhat soft. His arms loop around my figure and he presses his cheek against my shoulder. "Please t-tell me how to help you..."

        I shake my head, a small smile forming on my lips. "You're already doing enough, Noi, thank you..." I lift my hand and comb my fingers through his hair, eliciting a barely noticeable purr from his lips.

        "O-Of course!" He hums, happily, nuzzling my hand similarly to how a puppy would. "H-Hey, (Y/n)...?"

        "Mmhmm...?" I reply, suddenly feeling drowsy. I suppose Noi helped me a lot more than I had expected...

        Noi notices my state and carefully lowers my body to lay on my bed, all the while keeping his arms caged around my waist. "C-Could I stay with you...?" He asks. "I still w-want to make sure you're okay..."

        My cheeks flush at his request and the sheer amount of affection in his tone, but I brush it off and nod, letting my eyes flutter shut. Noi nuzzles his face into my neck as a fall asleep, feeling... loved for the first time in a long time...

~Noi's PoV~

        I open my eyes, immediately realizing that I'm not in my own chambers. My eyes begin to adjust to the light coming through the window and I feel a shifting weight in my arms. I look over to find a sleeping (Y/n) beside me. They were snuggling into their pillow and their hands rested between my shoulders and my chest, comfortably. Something about their touch gave me a fuzzy feeling in my stomach.

        There was something so visually appealing about them, not that this was the first time I had noticed. In the moment, however, with streaming sunlight on their face, lighting up their smooth skin. The way they looked so at peace, their eyes closed and their breath steady. It made me happy that I could help them feel better; they hadn't looked half as calm last night as they did now.

        I was starting to care for them. But it didn't feel bad or wrong like Prince Asch would want me to think. It felt pleasant... warm. I reach out to touch (Y/n)'s cheek. They hum softly, the corners of their lips quirking up into a smile. The sight of it makes me retract my hand as heat rushes to my cheeks. S-So adorable...

        It makes me want to lay here with them forever.