Chapter 39: Just Checking In {Jake's Route}

It's my life's mission to make you people like this man, and so help me god, it will happen eventually. He deserves better than being a side character, please-

~~~

~Third Person PoV~

Jake quietly knocks on (Y/n)'s bedroom door, not surprised when there's no response. His movements are slow as he turns the knob and peeks inside, finding them sleeping peacefully under their covers.

The last thing he wants is to disturb (Y/n), but he still enters the room and closes the door behind him. His back rests against it and he lets a small sigh. Those friends of Ava and (Y/n) were really intense... Jake hadn't been sure they'd even let him in at all, and even when they did, the way they all glared at him was extremely off putting. Maybe he could wait in here for a moment before he goes back out...

His gaze flickers back to the sleeping (Y/n) and he watches for a moment, noting the way their body rises and falls with heavy breaths and the circles under their eyes. He frowns, wishing that they had never got into a state like that, but he supposes it's too late now. At least they have people taking care of them.

He turns to leave and let them rest, when he hears them shift and goes still. He really hopes he didn't just wake them, he'd feel so guilty if that were the case; not to mention he thinks their roommates might attack him if they found out. He wills himself to turn around, hesitantly, and sure enough, (Y/n) is staring at him from their bed. "Jake?" They whisper, clearly confused. "What are you doing here...?"

~Jake's PoV~

"I-I'm really sorry, (Y/n), I didn't mean to intrude or anything..." I nearly wince at how squeaky my voice sounds when I try to excuse myself for being in their room. I quickly clear my throat as I continue. "I just... I heard you fainted and I got worried..."

"You did?" They ask, quietly, lifting their head from their pillow. "I don't mean this in a mean way or anything but... don't you have more important stuff to worry about than me?"

"Well, m-my tenants come first..." I mutter, and immediately feel like kicking myself. Tenant? Did I really just say that? "A-And well, I do consider you a friend too... and I think personal matters sh-should come before work." I feel my skin burning as a small smile creeps onto their lips. "I just really wanted to know you were doing alright..."

"I appreciate that a lot, Jake." (Y/n) hums. "Both as a tenant and a friend." There's the slightest hint of playfulness in their voice, and I think they're teasing me. The thought makes my face tint even redder, but my embarrassment is outweighed by the fact that I got them to smile like that.

I rub the back of my neck. "I-It's no problem, really... but I should probably go so you can rest and all, I-"

"Actually..." They cut me off and my legs that had been ready to lead me out just a moment ago feel like stone. They're not... "Could you stay a little longer? If you have time...?" No, they are... oh god, oh no-

"Yeah, I-I have some time..." I turn back toward them. "J-Just not for too long, you still need sleep."

"Of course..." They gesture for me to come closer, still smiling softly. "Come sit down..."

I swear my legs tremble as I approach, scanning for a chair I can pull beside the bed when they interrupt me. "On the bed is fine, Jake. I don't mind, we're friends, right?"

I nod, slowly, dumbly. "Y-Yeah, I just... I didn't want to make you uncomfortable is all..."

"I really doubt you could..." (Y/n) shifts over a bit, patting the extra space they made on the mattress for me to sit. "Now c'mon..."

I pace over to them, sitting at their side and facing them. They let out a small laugh and I realize I must look like I've never sat down anywhere in my life with how tense I am. I'm ready to fall and die of embarrassment on the spot, when I feel they place their hand gently against my arm. Despite being in bed all day, and it being summer, their fingertips are cold. "You're hand is freezing..." slips out of my mouth before I can stop it and they pull away.

"Oh, sorry..." (Y/n) looks down. "You just looked so nervous, I wanted to be comforting. You must be so stressed all the time with your work, you look so tense every time I see you."

Wait, how do they not know? "I mean, my work's not that bad... I-I think I just get nervous... around... you..."

"Me?" (Y/n) asks. "Well, there's no reason for that, I'm not that special!" They exclaim. I'm about to object when they lean over and wrap their arms around my shoulders. "I really hope I don't make you uncomfortable or anything, Jake, I was just trying to be friendly... I'm sorry if it was ever off putting..."

They really don't understand what I'm trying to say. I sigh, debating whether or not I should try to hug them back. I thought my cover would be blown by now, but they're clueless... it's actually pretty cute... "N-No, no, you're really not. I just feel like I don't know how to talk to you. I don't see you that much, I-I don't know what to say..."

(Y/n)'s releases their hold on me, but they don't lean away too much. "We should fix that then..."

"Not right now, you need to sleep..." I urge, and their head falls back against my shoulder, and I feel like I could actually pass out. They must just be sleep deprived, that's why they're okay with being so close to me right now...

"Okay, another time..." They sigh. "Let's go do something soon, just us! How does that sound?"

"Y-You mean like a date...?" It's a stupid question, it's so poorly timed, but out of the corner of my eyes, I see their ears flush with their face.

"I-If you want it to be..." They reply, quietly before yawning. "I-I like being around you, so as long as we get to talk and stuff, you can call it whatever you want..."

"(Y-Y/n)..." I wrack my brain for a response to that that doesn't make me sound stupid. They're just so amazing, so kind, so adorable. How is someone like that giving me a chance?! I've seen they people they hang out with, I look like some bland NPC in comparison. "Th-Thank you, (Y-"

When I look back down, I realize (Y/n)'s dozed off on my shoulder and I smile at the sight. It's disappointing I can't thank them just yet, but at least they're taking care of themself.

I try to be careful as I get up and help them lay back on their pillow, draping the blanket back over them. I hesitate at their side to make sure I didn't wake them, but I turn away when they stay asleep. I hope you remember this... I really want to take you up on that date offer-

I open the door to find (Y/n) and Ava's friends glaring at me. "You've stayed long enough..."

I let out a sigh. "Of course..."