Chapter 34: Taking Care of the Humans

~Third Person PoV~

"She isn't fine by now!" Noi cries upon returning to Ava's room with the others the next morning.

Asch rolls his eyes. "Shut up, Noi!"

"What's the deal? Why isn't she better by now?" Leif asks.

Rhys frowns, looking over Ava's form. Her face is red, and perhaps it's just because she's laying down, but she looks weak... "I... I-I don't know... The rest should've helped." Ava sniffles, shifting her head ever-so-slightly. "But it only looks like she got worse..."

Asch raises a brow, looking down at (Y/n), who had been sitting at Ava's beside for the entirety of the night. "What is going on?"

"She's sick..." (Y/n) mumbles. "For humans, one night of rest doesn't cure you..." They were still a little bitter from the night before, and it didn't help that they hadn't gotten to sleep since then... or the night before, now that they thought of it.

Leif steps closer to the bed. "Stand aside, I'll take care of this." He holds his hands together and a green light glows from them for a moment before he separates his hands and it disappears. "What the-" His eyes widen. "It didn't work!"

"Perhaps your magic has gotten weak." Asch remarks.

It has not! I learned this to show I could!" Leif huffs in response, shooting Asch a glare.

"Perhaps the spell pool is having an adverse effect." Pierce mumbles.

Rhys nods. "Or humans can't be healed by Daemos magic."

"Th... That's right." Noi sighs. "We never tried..."

"And Daemos, due to magic, usually heal after rest unless their magic is-" Rhys was interrupted by a small cough from Ava, and (Y/n) reaches over to feel her face again. Rhys squints at the two, but he can't piece what it all means together in his mind. "This is odd."

"What do we do, Rhys?" Asch asks. He would have asked (Y/n) if they weren't clearly still mad at them. After last night, none of the Daemos were exactly willing to start conversation with them and risk them getting upset again.

Rhys steps away from them. "I, uh... I truly do not know."

Pierce furrows his brows, concern evident on his face. "Rhys doesn't know?"

"Oh, we're doomed." Leif mutters.

"No!" Noi cries, collapsing into the bed over Ava's body. "Not Ava!"

Asch rolls his eyes. "Let her go, Noi, we do not want to make it worse!"

"This begs the question..." Rhys began. "How can we go about this?" He would have liked if (Y/n) answered, but they remained silent, lost in thought.

Leif, however, was more than happy to make a suggestion. "Okay, this is gonna sound bad at first, but hear me out... what if we cut her open-"

At that alone, Asch and Rhys were already glaring at him and (Y/n) sits up straighter. "What?!"

But, naturally that wasn't enough to get Leif to stop. "I'm not finished!" He excuses himself. "What if we cut her open and beat up the sick inside her?"

Once more, Asch and Rhys glare at him and (Y/n) looks back at him. "Definitely not! And if you keep making suggestions like that, I won't even let you near her!" They huff.

"Besides," Asch speaks up. "Cutting humans is impossible. It makes them die fast."

Leif huffs at both of them. "I'm just trying to help!"