Chapter 32: Nothing... {Ava's Route}

Hey guys, I'm so sorry for the wait! I've been a little stressed lately, and I still am, but at least coping with it a little better now and I'm ready to get back into writing. Expect more updates soon!

- RΔIΠ

~~~

~(Y/n)'s PoV~

Though I was filled with worry for the others after Asch's outburst, I quickly melt back into the warm waters of the pool beside Ava. She doesn't seem to be worried; why should I be?

"Maybe I should be turning in for the night..." I mumble, shifting a bit where I was sitting. "I'm tired and I don't think it's a great idea to sleep in this." I gesture to the water, creating a gentle ripple across the pool's unmoving surface.

I rise to my feet only for Ava to reach up behind me and grip my hand. "B-But we barely just got here!"

"You can stay if you'd like, A." I remind her.

"But you still deserve a good rest..." Ava mutters, standing up beside me. "Dealing with these Daemos who are all actually insane, no offense Pierce-"

"None taken."

"-but you deserve a break, we both do!" Ava finishes, looking up at me. I let out a small sigh and nod, deciding that I just can't say no to those eyes. I've been weak for her like that since we were young, Ava's eyes just seem to have their own power to them. We slink back down into the water and she rests against my shoulder. Guess I'll be staying...

I wrap my arm around her shoulders as I try to get comfortable and Ava pressed a bit closer. "You're comfortable..." She remarks, an odd compliment that somehow manages to make my face tint pink.

"G-Glad I'm a good pillow..." I huff, trying to hide my embarrassment.

Pierce had had his eyes closed for sometime now, but he glanced over to us for a moment. "Are all humans this close?" He asks, quite abruptly, breaking me out of my thoughts.

Ava answers before I can. "Nope. Only the ones that have known each other for eleven years." She states.

I nod, wrapping my arms more tightly around her. "Yeah, sometimes you get to a point as friends were nothing is awkward anymore."

~Ava's PoV~

I had hope for a moment when they held me back, but then they immediately friendzoned me! That's so... frustrating. I frown but continue to lean against them, wanting to savor the moment as best I can. Guess it's just another night spent cuddling as friends. This would be so much easier if we weren't stuck with the Daemos guys.

I shift, looking to Pierce with a little anger before burying my face in (Y/n)'s chest. My arms snake beneath their frame.

"Y'know..." (Y/n) speaks up, combing their fingers through my hair in a way that just makes me melt. "You've barely changed since high school." They giggle at that, resting their chin atop my head. "We still cuddle like back then, still hold hands and all..."

And I still can't tell you how I feel... I add on in my head, but on the outside I only laugh and nod. "Y-Yep..."

I immediately tense at the feeling of (Y/n) shifting away, but when I look up, their beautiful (e/c) eyes are filled with concern. "D-Did I say something wrong...?" They ask with a frown.

"H-Huh?"

"Ava, c'mon... I know your laugh, I've known it for eleven years." They mutter. "That wasn't it. What's wrong?"

"O-Oh no, I just-" I stop myself, my words dying on my throat. Everything in my body, my brain is screaming at me to confess, tell them. "W-Well, I..." I try to force the words out, but I can only open and close my mouth a few times. My throat feels so try, my hands quake, I get goosebumps...

"..."

...My vision begins to blur...

"Ava..." (Y/n) whispers, pulling me close again. "C-Calm down, I've got you..."

I rest against them and open my mouth to speak again, but nothing comes out. I guess tonight's another night that I just can't tell them...

"Have you been drinking enough water?" They ask. "O-Or was that just a panic-"

"I-I'm fine, (Y/n)..." I hum, looking up at them. "I-I just got a dizzy spell, but it's over..."

(Y/n) looks me over for a moment and I feel myself nearly go limp under their gaze, but soon it stop and they hug me tightly once more. "Just take better care of yourself, okay?"

I nod, hugging them back. "I will..." I whisper back, snuggling into them once more. They tuck my head back beneath their chin and I settle into the soothing feeling of their chest rising and falling beneath my head.

~(Y/n)'s PoV~

I'm unsure of how much time passes while I'm holding Ava. It could have been minutes or hours, but I wasn't ready to let her go just yet, not after what happened. I lean back against the edge of the pool, feeling our bodies meld together.

I nearly doze off a few times, but I remind myself where I am and that I should stay awake for-

When I look down at the dark-hairs girl in my arms, she's fast asleep, snoring softly. I can't help but let out a small laugh at the cute sight and a pet her head. "Sleeping beauty..." I whisper, reminiscing in one of the good memories from high school: that nickname I had for Ava if she'd fall asleep in class or take ages to wake up at our sleepovers. Again... nothing changed.

I glance over at Pierce and lean over to tap his shoulder. "Hey, Pierce? I think I'm gonna go to bed for the night..." I tell him. "Could you take care of Ava for me?"

"Yes." He replies, softly, not wanting to wake the smaller girl up. "Good night."

I smile at him before looking back at Ava, moving her gently to instead lean on Pierce. I place a light peck on her head before I get out of the water and gather my clothes. "Good night, Pierce." I say before leaving the room and heading back to the apartment.

Once back in my bedroom, I toss my clothes in my hamper and lay down in bed. But I don't feel day tired as I did just moments prior.

I sigh as I roll over and look to the empty half of my bed. If only I took Ava with me... I think, looking back again at my memories of our high school sleepovers. Having her in my arms always put me at ease...