Chapter 35: How to Become a Queen

AAH, I'm alive, I'm promise! I'm so sorry to make everyone wait so long for an update, but I plan to get back on schedule. This year has been a bit difficult for me, but once I get back into writing I'm positive it will get better! Thank you all for your continued support, even long after MID has been alive, I really appreciate it! Now, on with the chapter!

~~~

~Third Person PoV~

On Daemos, Bish is seated in the halls of the archives, Zex at her side. She was reading one book while tens of others lay scattered about the floor around them. "No no no no no no!" She huffs, still unable to find what she was searching for. At this rate, she knew just reading through books couldn't be enough, there were too many for her to get through and by the time she did find it, it may be too late. In her frustration, she slammed the book closed as she returned to her feet and threw it against the shelf.

Beside her, Zex's tail swished behind him, and he retorts to her actions with a quiet "Meow."

"Don't tell me to keep my composure! I've been in this damn maze for days!" Bish replies, looking back at him. "The last thing I care about is keeping my composure!"

Again, she was met with another "Meow."

"Of course you can keep your composure, you haven't been reading this whole time! You've just been licking yourself when It's convenient for you! Meanwhile, I have to panic over what I have to do to keep my throne!" Bish rants.

"Meow meow."

Bish takes a deep breath before lowering herself back to the floor with a sigh. "I've worked my way to the position I'm in and I'm about to lose it because of some soul-searching brat."

Zex's gaze remains on her as she moves. "Meow meow?"

"Truth be told, if I were in Asch's position right now, I can't say what I would do. Knowing me, I'd probably turn and run as well, go somewhere where I could never come back." She murmured. "But who knows, perhaps Asch will come back. Perhaps born royalty have some sense of honor."

"Meow."

"Of course they do, but something inside is telling me if given the right circumstances, Asch may abandon his duty." She looks down. "Despite our similar age, I don't know Asch well enough to say."

"Meow.l

Bish rises back to her feet and lets out another sigh. "Who am I kidding? I knew this was too good to be true. Despite all my efforts to get this close to becoming Queen, despite everyone I've deceived and manipulated, the Gods still had to curse me."

Behind her, a book moves on the shelf, not falling until Bish and Zex begin to walk away. It hits the floor with a loud thud and the two quickly whirl around to look.

"Huh? Who's there?" Bish scanned around. "Hello?"

Zex, meanwhile, was one step ahead of her, approaching the fallen book. "Meow."

Bish furrows her brows as she walks over as well. "I-It fell?" She leans down to pick up the book, immediately realizing something off. "This book..."

"Meow?"

"It's... Its clean. It's clear of any dust in comparison to the other books here." She inhales. "It also has this strange smell about it." She opens the book and begins to flip through the pages.