Chapter 39: Like Old Times... {Ava's Route}

~Third Person PoV~

(Y/n) shifts slightly, their eyes slowly opening to see the ceiling of their bedroom. They didn't remember getting into bed, but the remaining drowsiness of their body is telling them that something was wrong. As they slowly come into full consciousness, they try to figure it out.

Ava comes to mind after a moment, and suddenly everything floods back. Ava was sick, the boys panicked, (Y/n) yelled and promptly knocked out after from lack of sleep and stress. That was just lovely...

They know it'd be in their best interest to go back to bed, but their mind doesn't quiet as they think of Ava again. Was she doing alright? Were the boys taking care of her still? Before they can stop themself, they get out of bed.

They nearly collapse against the doorframe on their way out of the room, but still manage to amble through the living room and to Ava. The second they're on the other side of Ava's bed, the fall, accidentally waking the sleeping, sick girl. They silently curse themself for doing that, but they stay laying down, watching as Ava shifts and rubs her eyes.

~Ava's PoV~

"Hey, what's the-" I'm prepared to shoo one of the boys away, but I go quiet when I see (Y/n) laying next to me. They have dark circles under their eyes and their eyes themselves are glossier than usual. "(Y/n)...?"

"Hi... sorry I woke you..." (Y/n) mumbles, their eyes not leaving mine for a second. They look exhausted... I bet they've been stuck taking care of the guys...

"What are you doing? Are you okay?"

They nod at me. "Yeah, I just got worried..." They murmur. "I just wanted to check on you."

Butterflies flutter in my stomach at their words, but it doesn't take away how worried I am about them too. It's nice that they came to check on me, but they look half dead. "You'll get sick if you stay here, y'know?"

"I'll be fine." (Y/n) smiles, but in their tired state, it doesn't quite reach their eyes. "I'm not feeling great anyways, I'm probably already sick."

I frown. "That's not really comforting, (Y/n)." I sigh. "This is nice, but you should go take care of yourself..." I sniffle, rubbing at my nose with the sleeve of my shirt.

"Not when you're like this..." (Y/n) argues, retrieving the box of tissues from my nightstand and placing them in my lap. In doing this, they inch just a bit closer to me.

"You're really stubborn right now." I huff. "It's like if Asch was a human."

(Y/n) nudges my arm with a small smile. "Hey, I'm better than that!" They object with a giggle.

I laugh with them, though it makes a cough rise in my throat, and I grab a tissue and hold it to my mouth. When I look back at (Y/n), they've stopped laughing. "Take it easy, A..."

"It's just a cough..." I assure them before sniffling again. "It's not even that bad... I've had worse."

"I know..." (Y/n) shifts a bit to face me better. "Remember when you were sick for senior prom?"

"Yeah... you skipped to stay and take care of me. I felt so bad..."

(Y/n) shakes their head at me. "It was no big deal, I used to take care of you all the time." They remind me. "I skipped school for you more than I did for me, I think."

I smile slightly. "Yeah, I remember... My dads would go on and on about how great it was to have you around to watch me while they were busy. Especially since I didn't really have anyone else..." I sigh. "Plus, your sister makes a great chicken soup, they appreciated her too."

(Y/n) giggles at the memory. "Yeah... I used to make her let me help her cook because I kind of enjoyed taking care of you..."

I feel my cheeks flush, and I hope my face was already red enough that they won't notice. "R-Really...?"

Their cheeks tint pink as well and they give a small nod. "Yeah... I mean, I'll still do too. I'll take care of you anytime, y'know? It just... just makes me happy..."

The butterflies begin to swarm again and I cuddle up to their side, linking our arms. My smile only grows when their arm lays over my side, but our cuddle session doesn't last long as a moment later, Rhys steps into the room.

"Prime (Y/n), there you are." He walks over. "I was worried when you weren't still in your chambers. What are you doing here?"

"Checking on Ava..." (Y/n) mutters sleepily into my hair. "We're alright here though, thanks for checking in..."

Rhys lets out a small sigh. "Prime (Y/n), you both need to get your rest respectively, it will be better for the both of you." He walks over to their side of the bed and scoops them up into his arms.

(Y/n) lets out a small huff as our bodies are untangled. "Rhys..." I try to object. "It's not that big of a deal is it?"

"Princess Ava, you're still sick and (Y/n) passed out just this morning, you need your rest." My eyes widen.

"You go to bed!" I huff and (Y/n). "Why didn't you tell me that? Go sleep!"

"Ava!" (Y/n) whines, though they're smiling and Rhys carries them back to their room. "This isn't over!"

Rhys lets out an exasperated sigh as he makes his way out, and (Y/n) waves at me as they leave. I find myself smiling as I snuggle back into bed, though I miss (Y/n)'s warmth despite how I'm overheating.

"Sweet dreams, (Y/n)..." I murmur as I begin to doze off again. Maybe when we both get better, we can actually cuddle again. Just like old times...