Chapter 33: Ava is Sick!

~Third Person PoV~

By sunset, the apartment was shockingly peaceful. None of the Daemos were running about and screaming, allowing (Y/n) to relax, though they still felt unable to sleep. Galaxy, who had for slept at their feet for a while stretched and wanders out into the main room of the apartment, going to stand by one of the large windows in the living room. It didn't take long before she heard a creaking noise behind her.

She looks back only to find Johnny standing a few feet away. She looks away again, then looks back only to find that he kept getting closer, much to her annoyance. Johnny meows at her before getting closer, but Galaxy hisses and paws at him before disappearing altogether.

It was at that time that Rhys exits the wall. He knew the other Daemos would be preoccupied, and Ava likely would be as well, so he took his chance to do some learning without interruption. "I need to learn more about humans..." He mumbles to himself as he walks over to Ava's bedroom door.

And within the palace, there was little stirring, even Asch was quiet. He sits at his throne, laying his head on his hand with his eyes closed. He was lost in thought, images from that night flicker in his mind; how he let his guard down, the way his group could laugh and relax, Ava's questioning of why the Daemos stayed, (Y/n)'s skepticism and intelligence that had their excuse for being on Earth in danger. For a moment, he properly acknowledged a sort of craving to stay, but his brows immediately furrowed afterwards. He couldn't even humor the thought.

He thought back to the king, his father, knowing what would happen to him if he returned. And what more could go wrong if he tried to stay away from Daemos.

He stood wide-eyed in front of a palace throne, his father seated in the shadows so that even he could barely see him. "This is an honor amongst Daemos!" He growled. "You should be thankful to be chosen!"

Asch opens his eyes and lingers in the throne for a moment, in a slightly saddened and reflective silence.

Meanwhile, Leif is phasing about the palace's halls, ready to break the peace in the apartment. He moves through the top floors and bottom floors alike and hides behind statues, trying to maintain his stealth as he plots in his mind how he will finally kill the sorceress. Even after everything that had happened just that night, that's still all he wanted. Ava wouldn't be the one to take the throne anyways, right? He wasn't onboard with sparing her.

The assassin runs into the spell pool room to find Pierce sitting on the side of the pool with his eyes gently closed, while Ava sleeps in the water. A devious smirk crosses his lips and he phases closer to strike, only for a familiar blue sword to block the path of his scythes. He looks up to find Pierce glaring his way.

"Still putting up a fight about this, I see..." Leif mumbles, tauntingly despite how close the General's blade is to him.

Pierce maintains his cold exterior as he speaks up. "I'm following orders. We aren't to kill her until we learn more about humans."

Leif huffs. "Oh, come on. Don't tell me you don't think about killing her too."

Pierce doesn't reply, only nudging Leif away with his sword, much to his disproval.

"How long are you gonna keep this up?"

"As long as I need." Pierce replies as he rises to his feet with furrowed brows. "Especially when your intentions aren't clear."

Leif rolls his eyes. "Please, my intentions are simple: I do what I feel like doing. Either I make her mine or I kill her. Sometimes I can't pick between the two, especially considering Prime (Y/n)'s around as well. Tonight I felt like killing her, simple."