Chapter 33

Sect Leader Lan,

We have found Wei Wuxian, he is in a bad shape bud otherwise unharmed, the baby is also alright. He will need a lot of rest and a calm environment to recover. As we have feared, his mental state is however another story. For now, Wen Ning and I will take care of him and try to understand what scares him so much.

Unfortunately, he is beside himself every time Lan Wangji is as much as mentioned. It could be bad if he saw him right now. I am sorry to say this, but please relay this message to your brother as gently as you can. I have written to everyone except to him, I guessed you would prefer to be the one to tell him the news.

I will not reveal to you where we are right now, Wei Wuxian is extremely unstable, we really cannot risk any interferences before we know for sure that it would be safe. I will let you know as soon as we learn anything new.

Please head to Lotus Pier in the meantime and console your brother, he needs to be able to support Wei Wuxian when he will let him close. We will join you there or I will inform you about our current whereabouts then.

Sincerely,

Nie Huisang

Lan Xichen was holding Nie Huisang's letter and was in deep thoughts. He expected something similar when Wei Wuxian run away from the person he trusted the most, Lan Wangji, but what he had just learned was even worse than he feared. When he finished reading the message, he almost wanted to cry, the world was just too cruel to his brother-in-law.

He closed his eyes to compose himself, he could not let himself break down, both Wei Wuxian and his brother needed him. After calming down considerably, he read the message for a second time. "I am so sorry for Wuxian, his trauma is still so vivid to him, he is surely suffering... I need to help as much as I am able to. I will talk to Wangji and have him understand; I know he is extremely worried for his husband, but we will all have to be patient. We cannot risk aggravating Wuxian's condition.

Nie Huisang' s judgment was spot on when he did not send their current location, I could have been tempted to reveal it to Wangji after he learns the news. I am sure he will want to go see his soulmate as soon as he hears he had been found. While having his Alpha by his side would do a pregnant Omega much good, if Wuxian is truly afraid of Wangji at the moment, we cannot risk him getting too agitated and endanger himself and the baby."

His resolve gathered, he immediately send a letter to his brother in which he was simply calling him back without giving any details as to why and flew to Lotus Pier to wait for him.

***

Lan Wangji was flying at top speed to Lotus Pier. When he had received Lan Xichen's message, he immediately knew something was wrong and his heart throbbed painfully. His brother was calling him back for an urgent matter that he did not specify and the Second Jade was fearing the worst:

"Wei Ying, please be safe. Xichen would surely not call me back if there were no news about my beloved. But he did not write anything specific, I only hope that it is good news. I could not bear if Wei Ying was injured or something even worse. I want to be here for him. I want to ask him why he had left me. I want to console him. If he had run away from me because he did not longer want to stay with me or because I was not attentive enough and failed to notice his pregnancy, I will accept it... But I cannot live on if something happened to him..."

He now saw the lights of Lotus Pier appear in the distance and he pushed his spiritual energy to its limits, speeding up even further. When he touched the ground, Lan Xichen was already waiting for him with a worried expression. He forgot his usual respect and quickly came to him: "Brother... Is Wei Ying alright?" He had so many questions but he just could not voice them, internally cursing his ever present lack of communication skills.

His desperation must have been clearly showing on his face but he had no intention of guarding his expressions right now; they were not in Cloud Recess. And even if they were, he would break all the rules in the world to see his husband safe and sound again.

Lan Xichen seemed to understand his distress; he put his hands on his shoulders and immediately reassured him: "Wangji, please breathe. Wuxian is alright. Young Master Wen had found him and he is now taking care of him. Come, it is late and you are surely tired. I will explain everything inside."

Lan Wangji gave out a big sigh of relieve, nearly falling to his knees be it not for his brother swiftly supporting him and leading him further into the building. They were heading in the direction of his and Wei Ying's rooms, surely he would be able to see his soulmate shortly.

To his immense disappointment, the room was empty; he looked around to see where Wei Ying could be hiding but there was no sign that anyone was inside. He wanted to weep, his hopes crumbling down before his eyes.

Stopping in his tracks, Lan Xichen immediately understood that there was something wrong and turned to him. His expression was gentle, albeit worried, hiding all pain he was feeling at the sight of his brother crying silently between the door. He quickly manhandled him to sit at the table and poured tea for him.

He did not wait for the Second Jade to drink it and started explaining: "I am sorry to have called you here in such a hurry Wangji. Do not worry, as I said, Wuxian has been found and is now being taken care of by Young Master Wen and Young Master Nie. They have informed me that he is safe and only needs a lot of rest to recover. I do not know the whole history there, they are trying to have Wuxian tell them what happened and why he had run away."

Lan Wangji had even more questions he wanted to ask his brother now: "Brother..."

Lan Xichen gave him a tired but reassuring smile and continued: "Wangji, I know you have a lot of questions, but trust me on this one, alright? Wuxian is mentally unstable at the moment. He is very overprotective of the baby; Young Master Wen advised that no one should see him right now, he does not want him to be too stressed. Wuxian apparently does not want anyone coming near him.

Wangji, I am sorry, I know you want to see your husband right away, but it could do more harm than good. Please be patient and give Wuxian some time to recover, let us give him space to come to terms with his past at his own pace. It will be hard for both of you but be patient, I will stay by your side to support you to the best of my abilities. I am sure that you will be the first Wuxian would like to see once he is feeling a bit better."

The Second Jade's head fell forward as he silently cried, he reached his hand to Lan Xichen to find comfort and his brother squeezed it right back as he sent a silent prayer to his soulmate: "Wei Ying... I do not even want to imagine what happened in your past for you to be so scared for the life you are carrying inside you. I want to go find Yu Ziyuan and punish her all over again; I am already dreading what she did to you, even if I do not know the details at the moment.

I want to go to your side and comfort you, protect you from the whole world... But if you are not ready, I will be patient, I do not want to cause you anymore pain. I am actually glad Xichen did not tell me where you are right now, I could be tempted to go see you with no regards for the consequences. I miss you, it has been so long since I last heard your voice and saw your smile. My world has become so much less without you in it... Please get well soon, I will wait for you for as long as it takes."

They stayed like that until Lan Wangji run out of tears and the morning sun was already crawling up into the sky. The First Jade then gently helped him up and into the bed, it reminded him of the time when he was still a child and his brother took care of him.

"Thank you, Brother..." he whispered before falling asleep seconds after his head touched the pillows.