Chapter 40

Nie Huisang took Lan Wangji's sword that was pushed into his arms and let the Gusu Lan Sect disciple go. The Second Jade darted towards the door and was gone in less than a single second. The Qinghe Nie disciple could see in his eyes and posture the desperation he was feeling after he spent so much time separated from his soulmate.

"I only hope he will be careful and take my warning to heart. He looked especially distressed, more than I have ever seen him. His pupils were dilated too; he was probably already reacting to Brother Wei's pheromones... I hope he can maintain his sanity and not be overcome by his Alpha instincts. While it is a good thing he rushed here and seems to be missing his soulmate greatly, I fear that Brother Wei could be intimidated by his eagerness and be terrified again... I need to go check on them!"

Nie Huisang was ready to go inside and into Wei Wuxian's room to stop a catastrophe he feared would come when he heard someone calling his name. He turned around and saw Lan Xichen approaching from above. He decided he could probably be delayed for a few seconds and he waited for the First Jade to set down and come to him.

They both bowed politely. When Lan Xichen noticed Lan Wangji's sword in the Qinghe Nie disciple's hands, his eyes widened and he opened his mouth, probably to ask why he would have his brother's weapon. Nie Huisang had no time to explain, his previous bad premonition grew and he just knew something went very wrong.

So instead, he gestured to the First Jade to follow him, settling on explaining as he run towards the inn: "Sect Leader Lan, your brother came just a minute ago. I told him where Brother Wei was staying and warned him to be careful. But I fear the worst now, I have a bad feeling..." Lan Xichen seemed to understand and was following him without any questions.

After their long and extensive correspondence during the period when they were all looking for the run-away pregnant Omega, Nie Huisang and Lan Xichen became closer and they both trusted the other unconditionally. The Qinghe Nie disciple appreciated very much the First Jade's advice and his kindness; he could also feel that the other saw him for what he was and that he was able to see his merits and not only his second gender, like many others. He judged him for who he was and not for what he was.

They made it into the hallway where Wei Wuxian's room was and Nie Huisang's heart sank when he noticed the open door and heard a growling followed by sobbing sounds from the inside. He feared the worst again: "I am afraid that Lan Wangji and Brother Jiang went head to head against each other. Brother Jiang wants to protect his brother and Lan Wangji probably saw it as a threat to him coming close to Brother Wei. Poor Brother Wei must be so scared right now... most probably thinking that Lan Wangji does not approve of him being pregnant and wants to hurt him or the baby... What do we do?"

They reached the door and went inside, Nie Huisang first, Lan Xichen at his heels. The Qinghe Nie disciple immediately saw that the situation was as he feared. Wei Wuxian was trembling in the bed, being soothed by Wen Ning. Jiang Cheng was standing protectively in front of the bed and glaring at the kneeling Lan Wangji who was sobbing, with his head in his hands.

Then the Second Jade gave out a pained whisper and Nie Huisang knew that he was back to himself, regretting his past actions. It was too late however, the damage has been already done. They could now only try to minimize the impact and convince Wei Wuxian all over again that his husband did not want him any harm and was instead overjoyed by the news of his pregnancy.

Lan Xichen seemed to have understood the situation as well, he knew the Second Jade in and out. He had also apparently deduced what happened and for that, Nie Huisang had to admire him. The First Jade kneeled beside his brother and gently urged him to stand up, leading him to leave the room.

There was no helping that; even when both Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji wanted to see each other badly, the reunion would have to wait until they both collected themselves and were calm enough to try again. It would take not much time for the Second Jade, it would however be a harder process for the pregnant Omega, Nie Huisang was afraid.

He stepped out of the room as well, leading Lan Xichen who had his hands on his brother's shoulders to the room next door that was also reserved for their use. The Gusu Lan sect leader followed him with a grateful nod. Once inside, he sat Lan Wangji on one of the beds and kneeled facing him, gently praying the younger sibling's hands off his face.

"Wangji, are you alright? What happened?" Lan Xichen asked, although Nie Huisang knew that he already deduced the events that took place before his arrival.

The Second Jade remained silent for a long while. He first rested his hands on his knees, took several deep breaths and schooled his expression before whispering guiltily: "I scared Wei Ying."

Nie Huisang saw how the Gusu Lan sect leader's shoulders dropped as he sighed and took hold of Lan Wangji's hands again. It was more than evident he wanted to reassure and calm his brother. His expression was sad and concerned, his heart was probably aching for the tormented couple, but the Qinghe Nie disciple had never seen someone so graceful and beautiful. It warmed his very soul to see such clear display of brotherly affection, it reminded him of his time with his own brother.

"Sect Leader Lan is surely more suited to talk with Lan Wangji. Although I am a bit mad at him for ruining his reunion with Brother Wei, it could not have been helped. I should have anticipated something like this and take precautions. Lan Wangji never grew too fond of Brother Jiang and now we see the result of that, it does not help at all that they are both Alphas who want to protect their loved ones...

I cannot help here, I should go back to Brother Wei and see what I can do there. Seeing Lan Wangji so broken, I am certain he only wants to protect his husband; he would never hurt Brother Wei or their baby. But Brother Wei seems to still think otherwise... We need to convince him; he was so eager to see his soulmate again before this happened..."

He did not want to disturb the siblings, Lan Xichen was now talking low key to his brother, Lan Wangji seemed to have no more words but was listening carefully, nodding here and there in understanding. He already stopped crying which was a good sign. Now Nie Huisang had to check on the distressed pregnant Omega.

With one last glance at Lan Xichen's graceful profile, he quietly left the room and went to see how Wei Wuxian was doing.